Arkansas Hunting banner

How do you like your dog to be kept.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thot i would ask how you get on to your dog. I have heard of many of ways like swisting there ear or slapping them on the end of the nose or just plain whipping them witch i myself think is wrong but that is just my opion because im a dog lover and a i hate to see them starving or hurt badely and ot tended to THANKS

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dog

My dog was kept in a fenced area and most of the time in the home. He was treated as part of the family. If he wanted out, he could go out. When he wanted in he came in. Learning was done in a positive manner with reward or a voice scolding or a simple voice reprimand when he misbehaved. We had a great relationship and I understood him and he understood me. When he was a pup he went to puppy obedience and learned simple commands right along with me. He could communicate with me in many ways. To play, to be rocked, to be fed and he liked to hug and be hugged. While sitting on the sofa all you had to do was say hug and pat your chest and he would hop up and place his head on your chest and with slight pressure give you a momentary hug and then he was down. If he wanted a hug he would come by and put his head on your leg. Then you could give him a hug. Then he was on his way to take care of his dog duties. Not once during his 18 years did the paperboy or postman try to enter the house while he was there. Perfect protection. :}

·
Banned
7,034 Posts
A good swat with a rolled up newspaper. Dog will learn the lesson without being hurt. Only negative is that the dog will fear a newspaper till the day it dies.:biggrin:

My last dog came and went into the house as he pleased. Didnt have a fence but he learned the boundaries of the yard, thanks to the rolled up newspaper. We lived on a gravel road and people for some reason couldnt drive slow on it and most dogs and cats folks owned ended up splattered. I caught my pup in the road twice, each time I beat the tar out of it with the newspaper. Not long after the last time he jumped a rabbit in the yard, the rabbit ran right up the driveway and crossed the road. The dog stopped chasing the rabbit around 5 feet from the road. :thumb: Was a great dog, had him for 14 years and died of old age (we had to put him down,chinese dog food) rather than pickup truck.

·
Registered
Marlin .308 Bolt and Compound Bow ..
6,006 Posts
We use the kennel when they mess up ... like chewing on a non chew toy, or getting on the furniture.. Its kinda like Time out :biggrin: didnt work very good with my kids for long, but it seems to work with the our dogs pretty good :biggrin:

They are like kids to they will do what they can get away with..

The kids we take the TV thats a KILLER :lol:

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I actaully don't kick my dog, but the cat, that's a different story. Today, my kids new kitten thought my leg looked like a scratching post. She got kicked, and hasn't come near me since then.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
On our little dog I wouldn't pop her on the nose, I think it could physically hurt the little delicate bones/cartlidge, whatever it is. A small swat, or putting her in her crate for a "time out", but she's stubborn so it didn't do much good. She really wants to please, encouragement works the best although when she was young and tried to snap at me or bite( & I don't mean in play),I'd take a small bite on the edge of her ear:eek: & she'd yelp. She figured out real quick who was more dominate and we didn't have that problem but a couple of times.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My dogs respond very well to my voice, if it has to go farther than that I can show them a rolled up newspaper and they'll do what they are supposed to.

Couldn't answer the poll, my dogs are spoiled they sleep in the house in their crates. It's not a good night to be in the room with them though two of them got skunked earlier. :down:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I had to put my 14 year old down a couple of weeks ago, and my other turned 13 in January. She can probably do whatever she wants. But she just wants to follow me around. No complaints here.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
We have got 2 dogs in the house, Boston terrorist's and they get whacked on the butt with what ever is handy but usually they understand the difference in your tone of voice. The outside dogs get clobbered when they need it. Like when the squirrel dog decides he wants to be a deer dog :rolleyes: . He dont chase deer much anymore and never did run 'em far. The Labrador would get clobbered for breaking. And when I say clobbered I dont mean beat but I would/will grab 'em by the collar and switch 'em till the hollered one time. For jumping on folks a good right cross against the head usually makes 'em understand not to do that pretty quick. The outside dogs run loose...d2

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,957 Posts
Tri-Tronics is the best way
:exactly:

Mean voice and shock collar for bad behavior, then in the pen. Eventually just the mean voice willl work. Dog sleeps in the pen most nights and when we are gone to prevent roaming. For jumping up on people, step on the dogs back leg lightly when they are jumping up on you. Dogs hate this and will quit jumping on anyone after just a few times. Step lightly, just enough to make them know it. Couldn't break dog from taking bathroom breaks on concrete in the garage or shed, so she sleeps in the doghouse in the pen. Any advise on how to break this habit ???

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
I make Jack get in his bed.....if he is real bad, he gets a "time out" in his pet carrier. But the thing he dreads worst is a serious cussing, when that happens....he looks like all his hair and ears are about to fall off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.