Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
I had a 940 - 18" w/doorbuster - not the fancy camo model...
At first, it wouldn't cycle low brass - had to use 00 Buck to get reliable cycling.
After about 200 rounds and polishing the metal contact surfaces, it started cycling the cheap Walmart Federal low brass (#71/2-8). It was a pretty decent gun overall, but I sold it when the opportunity arose...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 940 - 18" w/doorbuster - not the fancy camo model...
At first, it wouldn't cycle low brass - had to use 00 Buck to get reliable cycling.
After about 200 rounds and polishing the metal contact surfaces, it started cycling the cheap Walmart Federal low brass (#71/2-8). It was a pretty decent gun overall, but I sold it when the opportunity arose...
In your opinion do you think the turkey edition shooting only turkey loads would reliably recycle those heavy loads?

·
Registered
984 Posts
In your opinion do you think the turkey edition shooting only turkey loads would reliably recycle those heavy loads?
When I was having cycling issues I read every post I could find and it seemed like some ran fine while others had break-in issues... mostly with regular/low brass loads. Once broken in they seemed to run fine.
A full power/heavy load should work ok. This was a few years ago so maybe it was something that has been fixed by now. They do seem to have a good reputation and are a popular shotgun... I would search for issues and see what the current consensus is first...

ETA: I just realized mine was a 930 not 940... close enough?

·
Premium Member
7,807 Posts
Fit was one of the other issues I saw with this gun. And it could have been just me. A buddy of mine had one, and it just didn't line up for me. Anytime I look at a shotgun ,I'll close my eyes and bring the gun up to my shoulder like I was about to shoot, then open my eyes. Depending on the sight picture I had I'd determine if it "fit" me or not. My Gold fits me perfect. And it's not something I just trained myself on. The very first one I ever picked up, I did this and it was a perfect sight picture of the bead in relation to the barrel. I did it with my buddy's Mossberg, (come to think of it, I think it was a 935 not 940), and I was looking off of the right hand side badly every time. Prob not as big of an issue turkey hunting, but that was back in the waterfowl days of my life. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Fit was one of the other issues I saw with this gun. And it could have been just me. A buddy of mine had one, and it just didn't line up for me. Anytime I look at a shotgun ,I'll close my eyes and bring the gun up to my shoulder like I was about to shoot, then open my eyes. Depending on the sight picture I had I'd determine if it "fit" me or not. My Gold fits me perfect. And it's not something I just trained myself on. The very first one I ever picked up, I did this and it was a perfect sight picture of the bead in relation to the barrel. I did it with my buddy's Mossberg, (come to think of it, I think it was a 935 not 940), and I was looking off of the right hand side badly every time. Prob not as big of an issue turkey hunting, but that was back in the waterfowl days of my life. Just something to consider.
I’ve picked up several remington 870’s with the thumbhole stocks and i look across the barrel of them. Weird as hell since i shoot all Remington shotguns.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Midway USA has both turkey models in stock. I ordered my tristar g2 viper 28ga from them. Paid with my deit card. Had it ship to the closest ffl dealer. Took 2 days to get it. Paid for it one morning. Next day around 1 pm i picked it up.

·
Registered
984 Posts
IMO, most guns these days are overpriced... but then I remember the 70's too...
Most of the $59 WWII milsurps aren't worth the $500-$700 gunshow asking prices either...
outta be able to find one for 25% under MSRP...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts