How can I fix this

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by mr4pt, Jun 24, 2020.

1. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member

SWA
    I’ve done several turkey fans with great results but this one is horrible. When I dried it I thought I had it perfect, a month later it turned out like this. This is my 11 year olds first turkey he got this year so I want it to be something he can hang onto for a lifetime

All of the feathers are there, some are matted and some not spread out right.

IMG_5241.jpg

sparkie likes this.
  2. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member

Ravenden
    Rehydrate......little by little

When its "flexible" set it how ya want......

sparkie likes this.

3. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've had some success pulling the tail feathers and hot gluing or super gluing them back in the place I want them to be.

When you say "matted," are they dirty and have blood/mud on them, or just kinda clumped together?

sparkie likes this.
  4. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member

SWA
    Just kinda clumped together. Not dirty or bloody, maybe some maggot gue I didn’t get cleaned soon enough

sparkie likes this.
  5. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Believe it or not, white gas (campfuel) is excellent for cleaning feathers. Not sure even where we discovered that but it sure works and we've used it for years.

6. AR1527

AR1527 Well-Known Member

Try washing it with Dawn in warm water. Make 100% sure you get all the soap out by rinsing several times. Remove any meat or fat if there’s any left. It’s difficult to get everything but it’s next to impossible to have a long lasting fan if you don’t. After you do that, use the camp fuel trick (it removes water and and oil you may have missed). Take a shop-vac on the exhaust side and dry it. You can use a hair dryer if you’re careful not to get it too hot. After you get that, pin it to a piece of cardboard and work some bondo into the quills. This takes out all the wait time and as soon as it’s hard you have your finished fan. It sounds complicated but I have about 30 minutes in each of these.
    3CCFE2CD-A5DF-4D0E-B164-4EDF07F4149B.jpeg

austincrutchfield and Remington like this.