Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many of the folks here have much more experience with hogs than I do, so I thought I would ask here. This is a hog that has been a problem on my lease all year. He has destroyed three automatic feeders and is rooting up everything. The members have taken to calling this red boar Hillary.
So how big is he?

For comparison this is a 7 point we estimate to be a 2 1/2 year old. Our average deer that age weighs in the vicinity of 130 pounds.

boom

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, I did have this hog @ 12 steps and could not shoot. The tree I was in had a limb on my left side behind me. I left it for cover and was unable to draw my recurve. He looked like a 55 gallon drum on legs. I killed a boar in Texas that weighed 212 lbs and I think this boar is a good bit bigger.

Boom

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't invite someone after him, wish I could. The club president owns about 1/3 of the land and we lease the surrounding areas from another local land owner. The rules here are not the same as most leases. The club president got hit the hardest by the damage, he is baiting the two hogs we have pics of starting this week and is going infrared on them trough the weekend. I just want them both dead, but especially the Hillary.

Boom

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,527 Posts
Hogs are the heaviest animal for their mass as any I know of. I saw a truck that hit one about that size, and believe me it was totaled. I'd guess in the range of 250/300 lbs. Definitely big enough to be a serious problem that needs addressing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We drove a T post on each leg of our feeders with a U bolt clamp. Did that 2 seasons ago they wont knock it over any more, we had some pretty big hogs bang the heck out of them to get corn to fall out but they didn't budge or fall over.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Crankman, where I hunt is on top of a mountain of novaculite, driving anything in the ground is all but impossible. I would be perfectly happy without the feeders. I tend to hunt travel paths for the most part.

We have a plan of attack in place for this weekend in hopes of getting one or both of the hogs we have hanging around. We have 100 pounds of corn fermenting and will have three hunters over established baits they hit but with the fermented corn as an added attractant. Our scales only go up to 250, so if it weighs more than that we won't know exactly how much.

Boom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.