Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the excuse from the AGFC has always been that the first buck of choice and the second one 4 point would cause large numbers of young bucks to be killed. They say that the number of hunters who kill a second buck is so low that it would have little affect on the population. SO...........................................................................................

Why not reverse it and make the first one 4 point or better and the second one a buck of choice? Then the majority of folks have to follow the APR and will never harvest the second deer according to them but then the chance to take out the abnormal deer would be there. I would go for that before any of the other options I have seen around that involve APRs.:up:

What do y'all think?

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,052 Posts
or how bout this, 1 buck per year and has to have 4 on atleast one side, and 1 doe with gun and one doe with archery. 3 deer total. After a year or two of this you wouldnt have to worry about not seeing a buck with 4 on one side to shoot because they would be everywhere. (just an idea that will never happen).

·
Registered
715 Posts
How about we just cancel Deer season for Four years, that way we get the best of everything when it re opens. A massive deer population, slam full of older age classed bucks..........if sickness, cars and starvation doesn't get them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
why don't we take down all the stop lights and let people go when they want to and how bout we take all the prices off all the items in the stores and you can just pay what you want...

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,527 Posts
I would love to get rid of APR but you and I know that that is NEVER gonna happen.
We let the 500 pound gorilla in the room now we gotta live with him.
Or we could just anesthetize him with a dart full of elephant tranquilizer and while he's knocked out cut off his go-nads:cool:

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
How just a short gun season for jackall and the rest of us who hunt where there are more than three deer can do our job and kill some deer to control population.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
or how bout this, 1 buck per year and has to have 4 on atleast one side, and 1 doe with gun and one doe with archery. 3 deer total. After a year or two of this you wouldnt have to worry about not seeing a buck with 4 on one side to shoot because they would be everywhere. (just an idea that will never happen).
That is not how it works.:smack:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Since the excuse from the AGFC has always been that the first buck of choice and the second one 4 point would cause large numbers of young bucks to be killed. They say that the number of hunters who kill a second buck is so low that it would have little affect on the population. SO...........................................................................................

Why not reverse it and make the first one 4 point or better and the second one a buck of choice? Then the majority of folks have to follow the APR and will never harvest the second deer according to them but then the chance to take out the abnormal deer would be there. I would go for that before any of the other options I have seen around that involve APRs.:up:

What do y'all think?
Sounds like a high grade to me.

·
Super Moderator
14,043 Posts
I've never figured out why most people who mention this plan want the first one to be a buck of choice, then a better buck for the second one. What if I kill a good 'un first, do I still get to take a second buck of choice???? If this were an option, it shouldn't matter when the buck of choice is taken----first or second. I've always thought one of our tags should be a "hunters choice" tag for whatever deer he/she wants. Might cut down on some of untagged deer that are ground checked.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.