How about some Hog BB?

Discussion in 'Razorbacks' started by possum, Jan 8, 2011.

1. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

How do you think the basketball team will fair this year? At 11-3 overall and now 1-0 with their victory over Tennessee tonight (http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310080008) will they turn the corner or are they still a lost cause?

BTW....Powell is back and playing.

2. spur

spur Moderator-Razorback Forum<br>Sports

nwar
    Picked up a nice W yesterday. I've watched all the teams in the west play and the hogs and OM look to be the best. I think we have a realistic shot at winning the West this year, but that's not saying much.

3. Hog_54

Hog_54 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Glad for players but could care less about coach.

4. n2deer

n2deer Well-Known Member

x2 I still havent jumped on the wagon yet. I am ready to have a team that can compete with the big boys again.

5. Who cares as long as john Pelphrey is the head coach? :down:

6. possum

:censored: Ask a question about the team and all people want to do is :censored: about the coach. I guess that means y'all think the team is going to suck again this year.

7. n2deer

n2deer Well-Known Member

No I dont think they will suck but I dont believe the coach we have can get us to the top again. Settle down man it is just an opinion and heck I hope I am wrong. GO HOGS

8. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

Why all the hate on Pel? I'm not on or off the wagon, but he's got a good class coming next year, I'm going to wait until then to decide.

9. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

I think we can make it to the NCAA tournment this year an group guys we have looking good. Coach Pelphery ( :head: hope I spell it right ) is doing a great job of rebuilding the program consider what he had to work with when he got here. We will see tomarrow when they play LSU on the road.

10. Hog_54

Hog_54 Well-Known Member

NWA

16 suspended since he's been here, plays in an empty gym, and looks like goober. He will have half of those Freshman suspended or they will never make it to school. He's run the program in the ground.

11. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

He does look like a goober but, rules are rules an he will stand behine them. Maybe if the players have more respect for him then they wouldn't get suspend. Arkansas basketball will never be like the Nolan Richardson era an I know I miss that for sure. Like everyone else I miss those nights when you couldn't hear your buddy next to you cause it was so loud.

I think when Arkansas slips by every one wins the SEC championship an make to the Final Four. Everyone will sing a differnt tone about him an we all be happy we have him as a coach. Or we will suck rest of the year an go we need a new coach who knows. :shrug:

12. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

I'm for sure not taking up for the guy, I was just wondering what the reasons you had were, I've heard lots, just wondered yours. And yes, I can agree with were you are coming from.

13. theridgehunter

theridgehunter Select Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner

I don't fault the coach at all. . . . .a man can only do the best he can with what he's got. For someone who doesn't know what he's doing (as some here suggest), he still recruited the #3 or #4 class (depending on who you read) in the country next year. If he doesn't do anything with real talent, then maybe we can legitimately gripe about the coach (and I am neither pro or con Pelphrey). Of course it won't matter long. . . . .if he does get real talent, they'll leave for the NBA after a year or two anyway. As for this year, I think they can win half of their conference games, make it to the second round of the Big Dance. . . . . .maybe.

14. Yeah I think they will suck this year and as long as he is the coach. I'm not the only one who has lost interest in Razorback basketball. Look at the attendance numbers. You might get 11,000 people up there for a big conference game. Most times the attendance is between 5,000 to 7,000, if that many. That's a far cry from the Nolan Richardson coached teams.
    When you combine his consistently mediocre teams with his demeanor and his uncombed hair, what do you expect. I mean really, is he the guy you want representing the U of A basketball program.
    And for crying out loud, someone, ANYONE, take him shopping for some clothes.
    And while they're at it, maybe they can stop by a store and buy him a comb.

15. possum

I really don't keep up with BB much at all but thought it might be possible to talk about the team and players....guess not.

16. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

This year's team is capable of competing in the West, but they are too inconsistent. The post play with Johnson, Bryant, and Sanchez needs to play better for the Hogs to complete. Rotnei Clarke could win a horse contest with just about anyone, but he can't create his own shot. The offense is obviously influenced by Rob Evans, THEY DO NOT SET SCREENS! Just like his Ole Miss teams in the mid 90's. We watched alot of his games, because our hometown boy, Keith Carter played down there.

Pelphrey gets a bad rap, but isn't it refreshing to have a coach who holds his kids responsible for their mistakes. Nolan didn't always do that. I'm not saying Pel needs 5 more years to improve, but he will produce a winner. If he doesn't, I'll be surprised. For people to abandon ship on the program because of the head coach says more about the individual than the coach himself. It's an easy cop-out in my opinion. The kids don't deserve less, but that's what the fan's give them.

My question is this, you get rid of Pelphrey and WHO WANTS THIS JOB? They weren't beating down the doors when Nolan or Heath left. Dana Altman realized what a mess it had become and backed out. Pel's first group had tons of talent, but were underachievers.

17. I understand what you're saying but it doesn't do much good to talk about the players if they aren't coached worth a crap. They're never going to reach their potential with Pelphrey at the helm.
    It's kind of like owning a Corvette and never exceeding 2000 rpm.

18. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

John takes us to the Dance and maybe to the round of 32 and everyone will be ok with him as our coach with the recruit class he had

John pisses away this good start and finishes as a bottom feeder in the SEC and an NIT bid or worse?

uh oh John ...... its all about winning baby

19. possum

Like I said I don't keep up much (watch even less) so I don't know about the coaching. I've heard enough to know most don't care for him, so I was hoping those that do keep up would fill others like me in on the team. Do you think they have "Corvette" potential up there now?

I post on them when I catch something on the net.

20. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

I wish I could post a link to this, but I can't remember where I read it...Pelphrey landed the third ranked recruiting class behind Duke and Kentucky.

You ain't never, EVER gonna recruit better than Duke and Kentucky, so in my estimation he did all that he could do.

John can enforce the rules, recruit the best, but he can't play the games.

Well, he did actually play in that first red/white game, but I digress.

Give the man some room, I think it will pay off.