Hot water recirculater

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by SA Doc, Jan 3, 2018.

1. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    One end of my house is a long way from the water heater. It takes several minutes to get hot water to the sink or tub on that end when it’s cold outside.
    Has anyone installed a hot water recirculator?
    I’ve been looking at a Watts system online. It has a pump you install at the water heater and a valve that goes at the far end of the house that bleeds the hot water into the cold line if the temp gets too low in the hot line.

Has anyone used this system?
    If so, how did it work and did your electric bill go up?
    It’s about $200 delivered on Amazon.

2. QuailRidge

QuailRidge Well-Known Member

We had the same problem in one bathroom. I put a 5 gallon water heater under the sink. By the time its cooling off the hot water from the main heater takes over.

3. betweenthecadrons

betweenthecadrons Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how much your electric bill will go up, but I can promise you it will.
    I've unhooked recirc pumps for two different families because of their electric bills. They were new houses, so they didn't have a past history to know what it was before the pumps, but in both cases, their electric bill was cut in half when they turned off the pumps.

I guess it just depends on how bad you want instant hot water.

DuckLn and curdog1 like this.
  4. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

My daughters new house has this problem. The contractor and the plumber both said "NO" to a hot water recirculator. Said to instead add a small under the counter water heater, Like Quailridge said above. They both said it would be much cheaper in the long run.

5. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My buddy has one and he loves it.
    He also has the funds where it is of no consequence to his letric bill.
    Personally, I would not have one.

Now a heated bathroom floor on the other hand......

curdog1 likes this.
  6. rohish

rohish Well-Known Member

I have one with a natural gas water heater. Master bath and water heater are on opposite ends of the house. The builder also added lines in the floor of the bathroom to warm it. My bill will average $20 to $30 more a month to run it. When its on, the water is hot at the first drop. Still a little rich for my blood. I keep mine unplugged during the summer and most of the winter. I have also used a timer on it in the past to just run early in the morning and late in the evening (shower times) and that worked well too. Now I just let the water run to warm it up. Water is cheaper than gas here. Water bill will only go up a few dollars.

7. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    I used to install a bunch of them , and nobody ever complained about them.
    They turn your cold water line into a circulating line basically.
    Here is one way to look at it ,
    50’ of 3/4” line has a little over one gallon of water. Now you have to move that water which is cold , plus the water it takes to get to the temp you desire. So to get to a reasonable water temp of 102-105 you have moved roughly 3.5 gallons of water. May not seem like much but add that up over a years time each time you turn on a faucet.
    They are easy to install and have a timer built in. Using the timer is the way to go , it can be set to work several times a day , usually set an hour before you get up in the morning and hour before most usage in the afternoon.

8. Gford

Gford Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

First off you have to be plumbed for a circulate system...Hot water has to run in a circle back to water heater....can't just add a pump without the plumbing....

I have one and I really don't think it cost that much more overall...the little pump is peanuts on money....the only thing would be the heater heating more often because of the cooling as it circulates. I do have my pipes insulated though..you do use way less water...and your hot water heater will have way less water ran out of it....and less cold water ran into it...so I doubt it runs that much more with a circulator .....I ran a month or so without it and did not notice any real change on electricity.

9. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    With a true circulation system this is the case. With the pump he is inquiring about the cold water side is used as the circulation line. The one draw back is the cold water side will stay Luke warm when the pump is running

10. Gford

Gford Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

Ahh....that doesn't seem like it would work that well...I like my true circulate system though.

11. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    They actually work really well.
    A small manifold is added under a sink where you want the hot water and it circulates thru the manifold
    The drawback is it only works in the area where the manifold is installed , you can add them a different locations in the house.
    Typically a dedicated recirc line adds quite a bit of price to a plumbing system in a new home build , these systems can be added for next to nothing

SA Doc likes this.
  12. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Thanks for the input everybody. The unit I’m looking at works as jcp describes above.
    It has a timer so you can set it to turn off at night or during certain parts of the day.
    A couple of the online reviewers mentioned that they used some kind of remote controlled electrical outlet so they just turned the pump on if they knew they were going to use that part of the house.
    We mainly need it for the sinks/tub in a guest bedroom and weight room, so I could leave it unplugged most of the time if it raises my electric bill much.
    The hot water is fine in the master bath as it is.

13. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    SA Doc
    I’ve hooked them in a light switch power source. Ran the power from the heater thru the attic to a switch in the bathroom
    That could be switched on when you wanted to use it. The main issue with this was you need to give it an 30 min to an hour to move the water around , it’s not a powerful pump so it doesn’t move water quickly. The one made by watts is the best one available ,If I’m not mistaken the the thermal bypass kicks off at 98-100 degrees.

SA Doc likes this.
  14. lawson6565

lawson6565 Well-Known Member

i have hooked up several to a timer and folks seem to likr that. just get one that capablr of multiple settings.

SA Doc likes this.
  15. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Just make the wife get up & run it for you until warm while she is pouring you a hot cup of Joe & fixing you a nice breakfast!!!!!!!!

Says the man doing "Honey Do's" as I type!!!!!!!

ArkGirl likes this.
  16. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

We have a recirculation system here at work in our permanent living quarters. It does deliver hot water pretty quick.

17. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    I installed the Watt’s system this afternoon. It only took about 30 min. It was around $200 delivered on Amazon.
    The water in the end of the house that used to take several minutes to get warm is now warm in 6-7 seconds. The one valve I installed at that end of the house worked for everything on that line.
    Our kitchen sink still takes longer than I’d like to get hot. It looks like it’s on a different hot water line than the other end of the house. I’m ordering another sensor valve to put there.
    I set the timer to turn it off at night. I’ll try to watch to see how it affects my utility bills.
    Thanks for all the input.

jcp likes this.
  18. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

Another thing you can do with newer fixtures is to take the water saving restrictors out of the faucets. Almost all newer fixtures have flow reducers in them to be "GREEN" and conserve water. What I've found is that on faucets a long way from the water heaters you have to let them run so much longer to get hot water you end up using as much or more water in the long run, specially on small volume uses like hand washing or shaving, than you would with old style fixtures. Kind'a like the water saving toilets you have to flush 3 times and use more water than the old standard one's that are not PC.
    Most new ones can have the restrictors removed, increasing the flow and speeding up the time it takes to get hot water. We added 28' x 28' to our house this summer, including a new bathroom that's now 56' from the water heater, I was looking at circulators to fix the time it took to get hot water there, but a plumber friend of mine fixed the showerhead by removing the restrictor and it cut the time of getting hot water there by about 1/3. Still not great, but a lot better than it was before.

19. 1928

1928 Well-Known Member

That's what I did to all the fixtures in my house when we built it.

20. armallard

armallard Well-Known Member

NEA
    What is the difference in a recirculation system and a continuous hot water heater system or are they the same thing?