Hornady Super Performance Ammo

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by hogdiggity, Jan 8, 2011.

1. hogdiggity

hogdiggity Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I purchased some for my new 7mm-08 (139gr SST), and it shoots like crap. I can't shoot a 6 inch group with it. With cheapo Remingtion 140gr corelokts I can stack 4 shot groups of around an inch. Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with it.

2. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Some rifles like certain ammo that's for sure, it don't make other stuff crap ammo just crap to that particular rifle.

BTW....I have never shot the Hornady Super Performance so no bias, just the way I see it. :up:

3. hogdiggity

OH i know, never had an issue with Hornady ammo, I have shot it for many years in my 2506. This SST stuff is real different though, the bullets have a bit different shape to them.

Not trying to say it is crap ammo, just seeing if anyone else had similar experiences. This is a brand new gun with a new scope, I thought my scope had an issue until I used the different ammo.

4. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Thought I would say that before somebody (and it's gotten bad) decided to jump all over ya for calling their ammo junk. :biggrin: But I bet it's not the bullet but the load behind it, that's why I like loading my own. There's bullets out there that are great shooters and excellent at getting the job done when they get there but if the rifle don't like the load they are useless. :up:

5. hunter_3780

hunter_3780 Select Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner

havent tryed the suerformance stuff but the regular sst's in my 7mm08 wouldnt shoot either. in my new 25-06 its a different story. :up:

6. hogdiggity

I haven't found anything that wouldn't shoot in my 2506, that dude will drive tacks

7. fpotts

fpotts Member

My son has a Marlin XL7 30.06 and shoots the 180gr SST. We really like them. Tight groups at 100yds.

8. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

The Hornady Light Magnum loads shoot very accurately in My 700 Mountain Rifle in .308. The Super Performance loads shoot acceptable groups in a 7 Rem. mag I shoot. I got the GMX instead of the SST bullets.

9. Hallboy17

Hallboy17 Well-Known Member

The Hornday SST balistic tip 130 gr. shoot very tight patterns in my Tikka .270. I went with the Superperformance this past year, and it shot good groups, not great, but good. Yes, it is faster, but I may re-evaluate for next year.

I agree that it depends on the particular gun. It also can depend on the grain. My brothers 270 WSM didn't shoot 150 gr. Winchester Silvertips worth a darn, but he went to the 130 gr., and it drives nails.

10. Haven't tried the Superformance loads in my 280, but it sure didn't like the Light Magnums. I shoot 140 gr. Win. Super X inside 4" at 300 yards, and the Hornady's wouldn't do that at 100. Like was said before, different guns like different ammo.

11. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

i havent tried it but wouldnt mind giving them a shot but my gun loves win BST's so why change it

12. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

I bought 150 grain superformance ammo for my 30-06. Had it sighted in with 150 grain ballistic tips. Took the gun on 2 hunts, never fired a shot, so the box of ammo is still full. Traded the ought six for a xd 9mm. So in short, no I don't have any experience with them. haha

13. buckhorn

buckhorn Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of 7mm-08 do you own. Would it be a savage by chance?

14. hogdiggity

no, I was given a CVA Optima Stalker for Christmas. I also have a Remington 700 youth model 7mm-08 for my daughter, although I haven't tried the SST ammo in it.

15. demented

demented Well-Known Member

I've never tried any factory Hornady ammo, I load my own, but I have tried both their SST and Interbond bullets in my 7mm mag. Neither grouped as well as Nosler Partitions or even plain old Remington Cor-Lokts. I don't think my Browning likes boat tail bullets.

16. Da Duke

Da Duke Well-Known Member

I have a new Savage .270 and it shoots .5 MOA with the stuff. Only one deer this year and it was DRT with a darn near saucer sized exit hole on the opposite rib cage.

17. Hudge

Hudge Well-Known Member

I shot the 139 gr. SST Superformance from my .280 Rem 700 BDL this year, and was not too pleased with it's accuracy. I also shot some 140 gr. Remington Cor-lockts and did not like them either. I have always shot 150 gr. Partitions or 140 gr. BT in either Winchester ST or Federal and had excellent groups and results. I did not shoot a deer this year, so I can't comment on its performance on game, but accuracy left a lot to be desired. I usually can cover 5 shots, not 3 with a quarter at 100 yards with either the BT to partitions. With the SST or Cor-lokts, I did good to get a 3 shot group with either round that was consistent. I'm going back to 150 gr. partitions or 140 gr. Ballistic tips for any more hunting.