Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shooting a new cva optima v2 long range magnum 50 cal. I picked up some blackhorn and some hornady 250 gr sst ml bullets. I am shooting 120 gr by volume. My gun shoots them very well. Has anybody killed anything with the hornady sst ml bullet ? Like to know how they preformed on deer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A topic that I used to cringe over …. Muzzle loader bullets that performed, with that said I have not shot any that you mentioned but I bought my wife a nitro fire and went with the borelok they recommended and it performed great , granted only 1 deer so far but weight retention and expansion were great

·
Registered
472 Posts
I really do like them had to go to the sst bullet because wal-mart always sells out the power belt bullet first but i really like the sst killed several deer dead in there tracks.i really like them its nice to see deer drop quickly instead of watching to powerbelt shot deer run off with no blood trail to follow.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was reading on other forums. Some say the Shockwave and SST dont leave blood trails. But i know for a fact the SST leaves a good one. I couldn't find any in mountain home. So had to make a trip to Branson to get a few boxes. I like how they load, and preform so far.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I killed a doe with one. It dropped her in her tracks. Going too look around mite try a different bullet. But i have a bunch of the Remington sabots left. The older 275 gr jhp bullets.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Remington 275 gr core loket hp sabot . I used to use them in my Remington 700 50 cal ml. They remind me of a hornady xtp bullet. They always left a good blood trail for me. Anyone else had good luck with them?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I shoot 250 Hornady SST but with only 90 of the blackthorn. My gun patterns a lot better with the lighter load and plenty of umph. Killed several deer with this load and got pass through on all but one with good blood trails. Largest deer was probably 140 lbs range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts