Homemade traps?

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by green_head_getter, Dec 15, 2010.

1. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

I'm wanting to trap stuff but I want to do it primitively. Like a deadfall trap. Anyone done this just for fun!? How hard is it?

2. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I dont think it is legal. Snaring might be what your looking for, and is very effective.

3. Mark Penn

Mark Penn Well-Known Member

deadfall's aren't legal in Arkansas......if you are considering trapping....I would say it would be well worth your time to take a few minutes and read over the current AGFC trapping rules and regulations. They are available online and it provides you a list of do's and don'ts.

4. timv

timv Well-Known Member

Snares have been used for thousands of years and steel traps for hundreds might try making your own lures and baits too.

5. formula13x

formula13x Well-Known Member

Yep, lots of rules to read. There are rules on the snares too, you can't just loop a cable and hang it. Size, locks, deer stop considerations, proper identification and distance off the ground are all thing you need to know to keep yourself from getting a ticket. But, building a snare and catching a predator on it is a bit satisfying! And will be well worth your time to give it a try! You'll be hooked!

But, for what it's worth, as a kid not knowing better, did a #4 deadfall, and gave my dog a knot on the head.

And last year the kids did a successful primitive catch (laundry basket with a pull stick attached) and caught a bird. :) (It really worked, we had to buy a parakeet after that, said "sure you can have a bird if you can catch one".) Didn't expect them to pull it off.

6. woodwise

woodwise Well-Known Member

I have a deadfall trigger that I got out from under a rock that my Grandfather made and used on the Buffalo River....My Dad said it was probably last used in the 1940's....it would have been a bad way to go for your last Meal..

7. jwr

jwr Well-Known Member

rison
    is it a figure 4 trigger?

8. Pigsoooee

Pigsoooee Well-Known Member

I only found a few regulations when I went to the agfc website. I went to thefurbearer trapping part of their site. Is there any more info than that on the rules and regs?

9. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

10. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

Rules

Rules are made to be broken get out there and set some deadfalls - dont think you will run into the man or that he will stake your area out especially if you are on your own place

11. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

Wow.....talk about a horrible post. Nothing like encouraging people to break the law :smack:

12. bloody acorns

Yeah

Yeah thats me Doug - not interested in getting my Junior Deputy GW badge here or taking your online version of ethics- - One would assume this fellow is interested in trying to catch or kill something by primitive means - not planning on running a 100 mile line with 200 sets - Dead falls are tough business and I would assume they would be a hit or miss proposition mostly miss. Its also illegal to kill or attempt to kill a deer with a spear but if someone wants to give it a shot - I think he or she should be able to do so.

So think about guys like me with a little common sense next time you are out there moving a rattle snake out of the road so no one runs over it

13. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

18.07 DEADFALLS, DRUGS, CHEMICALS, POISONS, EXPLOSIVES,
    04-05 BOOBY TRAPS PROHIBITED FOR TAKING WILDLIFE. It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take wildlife by the use of deadfalls, drugs, poisons, chemicals, explosives, or any device designed to take wildlife by the activation of a trip wire, electronic actions of a switch or other means that do not require the attendance of an individual to activate said device.
    EXCEPTION:
    (1) Rodenticides may be used to control mice and rats.
    PENALTY: $1,000.00 to $5,000.00.

Considering the consequences...you seem awfully free to provide advice that
    could cost someone else a chunk of change not to mention their hunting and
    trapping privileges...:down:

I presume your were being tongue in cheek, at least hope so...:head:

14. Damascus-Doug

Keep talking the unethical ideas that you feel you need to say. You say you have common sense but I think that you need to look that definition up along with what ethics means. Encouraging someone to break the law is far from common sense and shows the level of intelligence you have in regards to hunting and the outdoors. So while you are out chasing the rattle snake to make you feel like you are a real man, enjoy it and be thankful that there are more people like me that do abide by the law and encourage others to do it and look past the uneducated remarks that some people make.

15. green_head_getter

For the record I didn't know deadfalls were illegal. I saw this method in a survival book and thought it looked cool. I'm posting this because I know it's only a matter of time before some yahoo comes on here blabbing about, hey GHG why don't you read the reg book blah blah blah. Btw I don't think it sparks my interest anymore after looking at that fine

16. bloody acorns

Congrats - I will present your junior deputy law abiiding citizen badge to go along with your other merit badges - You are a one of the folks that makes this site less tolerable by the day. Dont need to chase snakes to feel like a real man - I live in the middle of it all I can walk out my front door and hunt drive a 1/4 mile and catch a fish and have varmits right here in the front yard. You ever set a trap in your life Mr. Woodwise - I would venture most of your outdoor exploits involve getting out a few weekends a year then spending the rest of your time talking about it. :clap:

17. Damascus-Doug

I can tell that you do not venture out far from you house. Yes, I do set traps, hunt and fish right where I live. I do not have to even drive anywhere. I hunt and fish more than most people and enjoy teaching my boys about it. People like you are the kind that I wish wouldn't come on this site but I also understand that there are idiots in the world and they are entitled to use this site just like the rest of us. You give advise that is illegal and generally not worth the time it takes to read. Maybe one day you will come to the understanding that rules and regs have been established for a reason and the light will come on and you will see how you really sound. I guess I also need to fill out my "Dealing with a Pompass" merit badge now. :thumb::fit:

18. green_head_getter

I try and follow the rules and regs to the best of my ability, however I hate the wanna be wardens. People break the law, it's gonna happen. Try to abide and teach your kids to do the same. Don't get ur feathers ruffled over an internet here say. I agree with u both