Homemade mallard machine...

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by ArkArcher, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator<br>Bowhunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

2. ArkArcher

So...not one reply. :biggrin: I guess you area all to busy making your homemade mallard machines to post. :thumb: I wish I would have found this earlier in the duck season. :smack:

3. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Ok, I'll reply. I just had to see what a Mallard Machine was and guess what? I still don't know what a MM is. :smack: Ya see I've never duck hunted a day in my life so just call me ignorant....that's fine I admit it. :biggrin:

4. ArkArcher

5. possum

So the arms that the decoys are attached to rotate to make a swimming motion, are does the prop just swirl the water? How's the diving effect accomplished?

6. fish

fish Well-Known Member

I though mechanical devices were outlawed in Arkansas for decoys ?:confused:

7. Only decoys that have any kinda "wing" motion is outlawed.

8. ArkArcher

The motor prop will be about 4 to 6 inches below the water facing straight up. When you hit the ON switch, the motor will come on forcing the unit straight down (the same as if it were pushing your boat forward) thus pulling the decoys under slightly with it. It will also force a bunch of water up disturbing the clam water on the surface.

Here is a link to a couple pictures on how it works.

http://www.bassbuckandduck.com/how_it_works.htm

9. ArkArcher

Here is what it says on the AGFC site...

Mechanical Decoy Restrictions
    With the exception of kite devices, simulated wing movement decoys (including all electronic, mechanically operated, wind-powered or manually powered devices that simulate wing movement) are prohibited. This includes the use of flashing lights/LEDs to simulate wing movement. These decoys are allowed for dove hunting, as well as hunting snow, blue and Ross’ geese during the Conservation Order season dates.

10. possum

I think I've got the general idea know. :thumb:

11. radwheeler

radwheeler Well-Known Member

won't really know what the "warden" would say

This could be walking on thin ice. I would hate to be the poor mug who the game warden does catch with this device. I bet some how some way you would not walk away empty handed. That game warden would find some way to give you a big fat ticket and take your homemade device from you.
    I just don't if I would be willing to put my wallet out there on the line like that?? If you get my drift. Good luck to you. Besure to keep us informed on your future with this device. I want to know the out come after Game warden see it.

12. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

Hey rad it is not simualting wing movement so the ol GW cant do anything about it. Maybe need to get one for the boat huh?

13. grits and gravy

grits and gravy Well-Known Member

Mallard machines are perfectly legal in arkansas. So are the decoys with the spinning legs as long as they are still the orange color. If you paint the legs other colors, they become illegal. Also there is a new duck kite out that has spinning wings on it. Not real sure what the ruling on it is.

14. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

It says in exception of kite devices in the regs.

15. ArkArcher

Yep, they are legal! :thumb: Hey rad, noticed you are in Alexander! Good to see someone from my neck of the woods on here. Don't guess I ever realized where you are from. :thumb: