Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
IF the unit recirculates the cooled air in the room back through the evaporator coil on the AC unit, it MIGHT get cold enough. I wonder how the thing works-- does it bypass the unit's thermostat to make it get colder?

I'm kinda skeptical about this one, but there are some real HVAC dudes on here that would be better at making this call.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my camps walk-in cooler uses a 2 ton a/c unit compressor that came from a trailor house but a cooler evaporator with 4 fans blowing air through it. it works great there is a thermostat inside the cooler to measure the air temp we keep the temp at 34 degrees.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
my camps walk-in cooler uses a 2 ton a/c unit compressor that came from a trailor house but a cooler evaporator with 4 fans blowing air through it. it works great there is a thermostat inside the cooler to measure the air temp we keep the temp at 34 degrees.
Now I can see this above setup working, but these guys are talking about using a window unit to get down to 32 degrees? Are those really capable of getting that cold if you just bypass the thermostat? I suppose it might, but I've heard of such.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
FK,

I'm not saying it would work, but you don't want a walk-in to get down to freezing if you're just chilling out your deer. You just want it cold enough to firm up the meat (makes it easier to process) and keep bacteria from growing. Bacteria stops growing at about 38 degrees, so most coolers will be set at 36-38. My paw-in-law has one he built using the compressor from an old walk-in. Or maybe it came off a reefer trailer. Not quite sure, but it gets the job done!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.