Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner
2,657 Posts
My BNLs drive up from Florida every year to hunt Holla Bend NWR
the first week of November (the week before gun season opens).

Hopefully I will get to sneak in there some in October before they
arrive.

$12.50 for their permit. Rules may vary from states.

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/HollaBend/

YOu can download a brochure there and it also list phone#s. Usually,
I pay for out permits via money order and mail and either have them
mailed to me or pick them up during the weekday at the Refuge office.

I like hunting there. Never fail to see deer and turkey the other critters.
Easy access all around.

Only drawback is weather, if it rains allot and the river rises enough to
flood they will close it off but not without fair warning.

· Registered
3,451 Posts
Only drawback is weather, if it rains allot and the river rises enough to flood they will close it off but not without fair warning.
I beg to differ. There are other major drawbacks. There are LOTS and LOTS of mosquitoes, at least until it gets cold. And that there are almost as many hunters as there are mosquitoes. On the other hand, there are some nice deer there.

· Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
517 Posts
Trophy deer & Trophy mosquitoes don't forget bug spray or they will suck you dry. You do need to go early for scouting i think that is a big plus for someone new there. I got a hunting lease close to home now so i havn't been there in 3 years but if i ever lose my lease thats were i will spend most of my bow hunting time. i never killed a buck there but if a person keeps hunting it hard he can kill a nice buck there. Theres some nice turkeys there to. good luck

2,657 Posts
Holla Bend does have it's hare of skeeters, without a thermacell or protection they will drag out to the road and field dress you alive.:wink:

HBNWR also has it's share of hunters but I've found the numbers to be somewhat seasonal and the popularity varies from year to year.

I do see a bunch who like to hunt close to the roads but if you willing to
move back next to the water the hunter population thins out a bit.

As for best times, I'd say be there when they start knocking down the corn. Stay a late as you dare without being locked in and get in there as quietly and early in the morning as possible. I.E. be there when the gate opens.:up:

I love being there when the Spring Turkey season is open. Take your lunch with you and stay all day chasing turkeys.:clap:

2,657 Posts
Beware!:whistle: You get caught duck hunting there and those Federal
boys will not only cuff you but take your gun, truck, dog and the clothes off
your back before putting you in the back seat dressed in only your
drawers. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.