Holiday Hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jjarvis0007, Dec 23, 2010.

1. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

Was thinking about going to Poison Springs for the holiday hunt. How many people should I expect to run into down there?

2. Not sure, i dont hunt public land, but we have 5000 acres and i will be there thur and fri for the last ml hunt and the youth hunt next weekend and there will be 4, me and my daughter and my buddy and his nephew. I dont think it matters where you go this time of year most people are done except for us "hardcore" folks. I have been to poison springs the opening of bow season and there were not many folks then.who knows.

3. Probably not that many. I sent you a platt I think. If you have never been in the area before I would stick to the big tracts.
    You can get confused trying to find the smaller tracts if you don't have a good map and a platt.
    I have turned a few around that were lost.
    Are you going to camp down there?

4. cookiearcher

cookiearcher Well-Known Member

I normally don't do this but here it goes If you know where the food ploys are the ones I know of where planted this year so the deer will hit them hard and heavy when the acrons are gone which will be soon

5. That would be a good tactic but the acorns are still holding up. Dry year and the acorns are souring with the dry ground. The deer are finding them.......
    The plots that are planted down there aren't that great. I have seen deer in them but they don't over stretch the budget on them.
    I went through two today and here is some green but lush.

6. cookiearcher

You're right the deer will pick them up till they sour but you got to remeber that's there not alot if hard wood stands a few but not excessive especially with the amount of deer that utilize them if I was going this weekend I would probally start at the hardwood stands and then migrate to the foodplots they have paid off in the past

7. Where are you hunting?
    There is a 160 acre tract off Ouachita 17 that almost all hardwood. Another over close to White Oak HC......they are spread out.
    Another thing people forget is that most timber cutters are leaving areas around creeks alone and they can hold lots of hardwoods....
    Here is one on my leases that my past folks had just ignored.......I just recently bush hogged into it. The access into it was thick sumac that was impenetrable without a tractor and bush hog.....there are White Oaks and Red Oaks all up and down this draw that is only about 30 yards wide......and scrapes......

[​IMG]

8. cookiearcher

I'm closer to white oak

9. The lake or the hunting club?
    You aren't far from me.....my kin folks have been there since there were indians amongst them.......wait my great grandmother was an indian......well a long time!!!!!:biggrin:

10. cookiearcher

I have found simlar tracts of which you speak but like I said the deer density is high on this form of mast making it in short supply not to mention when the hogs find it that's all I'm saying

11. It ain't just hogs.......ever seen Ducks suck up acorns?

12. cookiearcher

13. cookiearcher

Yep sure have jumped alot of woodies and gadwalls last time I was down there

14. Over off Washington Post rd.......I think Suit Hunting club is over there as well.....on the west side of 57.
    I am on the east side......
    Here is one of my watch ducks while you deer hunt stands....this used to be hardwood bottoms that were awesome.....now .....I kind have a fondness for this look...

[​IMG]

15. cookiearcher

I for the most part stay on the Nevada county side

16. I think we have hijacked this thread......:eek:
    jjarvis0007 if you decide your going to be down there let me know.....I am planning on being there all next week.
    I will see if I can point you in the right direction and keep you from getting lost.....:fit:

17. cookiearcher

Oops we did hijack the thread as for your original question there won't be alot of people down there which sometimes can be hindering but the cooler temps should have them moving and I would take soarkrebel up on his offer you can never have to much help in those thickets happy hunting and merry Christmas

18. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

Y'all weren't bothering me at all. I'll give you a shout if I decide to head down that way. Merry Christmas!

19. Do that........I have an area to turn you on too. I am kind of curious how the deer movement is in this area. I have a few others as well....I can't hunt them all.:biggrin:
    Do you have a atv or 4x4 truck?
    You may need one in some of these spots.....the book used to recommend them in the area.
    The Scott Story road can get rough if it rains.....