Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This deer season, a guy told me that he killed a hog in Big Fork. Well, he's not a liar but I still found it hard to believe. Then a couple of months ago, a guy tells me that while turkey hunting out there, he found hog sign. Well today, a fella that travels to where I work said that he saw one dead on the highway about 500yds from where the guy said he killed one. This bothers the heck out of me. I don't want these suckers out here. What really makes me mad is that they mostl likely were transplanted here by some idiot (probably from out of state) that thought it would be cool. I'd like to find out who did it and tie his butt to a tree and pour "Pig Out" or something of the sort all over his nether regions. Who could be such an idiot?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I love to hunt hogs. But you are absolutely right. When i go to the mountains i am looking for deer, bear, or turkey....not hogs. And i don't understand why anyone would do it because the last thing i want to do is drag a hog up and down mountains. The forest service is so restrictive about using anything to get them out i can't imagine anyone wanting to drag a 300lb. pig up and down mountains. I am not knocking the pigs (cause i love em) But what heck are you thinking stocking them in a place that has never had hogs. Shoot all of them you can find. They will put the hurt on a turkey populaion.:smack:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I would say it could be migrating or some IDIOT dropping them off to go wild for the fun of the hunt.......:mad:..Trust me you need to start now or they will take over and destroy more than can be fixed in a short time.......:banghead:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have seen and personally killed hogs for seventeen years around Albert Pike. Used to see them regularly where I turkey and deer hunt there, but there does not seem to be as many as there used to be. Never was a lot, but I had and encounter or two every other year and saw sign every year. Actually saw the biggest hog I have ever seen up there. I have weighed a couple I have killed in the bottoms that tipped the scale at 275, but this hog may have been half again as big. Saw him on Blaylock MT, just sw of Albert Pike, and thought he was a bear when I first saw him. I was muzzleloader hunting, and things just did not work out for a shot. Probably got within 75 yards at one time.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They could be migrating as there are hogs in Western and Southern Polk Co. I love hunting hogs but always liked the fact that I could go hunt them in Howard Co or down south or west but escape them if I wanted to hunt something else. Oh well, here we go :smack:

·
Registered
78 Posts
My brother and I started killing hogs in the mountains in the early 90's up around Clarksville to Oark. They've been in the mountains alot longer than most people realize. And were probably there a long time before we discovered them. It doesn't take long for them to range in to other areas. Lots of reasons: food and water sources change, logging, and mostly hunting pressure. When people would call us complaining to come help them get rid of them you could find them in the same place the first couple times but after you've dogged them they get smart and move on. Not all of them, but they will travel long distances especially after all the acorns have been vacuumed up. We've killed them in the Mts about as consistently as in the swamps down south. I wouldn't be so quick to think just because one or two have been spotted that some no-good guy from across the river(state line) dropped em off in "YOUR" hunting spot/mountains. I don't believe a lot of people realize how fast pigs reproduce and how far they'll travel!

·
Registered
12,440 Posts
I know a guy that brought in several "Russians" and released them in the Saline River Bottoms between Benton and Sheridan so they would breed with the feral hogs already there.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I would bet money that it was NOT some out of state idiot but a local. I have been trapping and hunting the dang things since March and aint made a very big dent in em,yet. Fixing to go hunting in a few minutes and caught one that weighs about 150 lbs two nights ago. I aint checked my pens yet this morning. I hope to catch some in the pens and catch some with the dogs this morning. I cant get anyone to cut the hay on the place because they have rooted up the fields so bad. The folks around here that dont own any land or are a member of a deer camp turn 'em loose hoping that the land owners will let 'em hunt the hogs when they start damaging the fields and stuff. I caught one in March 82 steps from my front door!!! I wish they would come up with some kind of poison that was "hog specific" and I would fill the woods with it...d2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.