Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my contractors came into my office this morning and told me a story about his son's duck hunting trip yesterday morning over by Horseshoe Lake. He said that while calling they heard a loud commotion behind them, and suddenly there were hogs diving into their decoys trying to eat the decoys. His son shot one large hog, and it rolled over like it was dead, but then it made a big splash and swam off after the others.

So, there's a new tactic. If there are ducks around, just get out the duck call and the hogs will come running.

· Registered
63 Posts
One of my contractors came into my office this morning and told me a story about his son's duck hunting trip yesterday morning over by Horseshoe Lake. He said that while calling they heard a loud commotion behind them, and suddenly there were hogs diving into their decoys trying to eat the decoys. His son shot one large hog, and it rolled over like it was dead, but then it made a big splash and swam off after the others.

So, there's a new tactic. If there are ducks around, just get out the duck call and the hogs will come running.
Horseshoe lake around Belleville??

· Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm not gonna say it don't work but I had a whole that had tons of hogs in the woods behind it. Not once did hogs attack the decoys. Maybe my decoys were cheap and my calling bad but the only hogs I killed from that blind were crossing the field 200yd out. With a rifle.

· Registered
324 Posts
That's such crap!! I am not saying that didn't happen I'm just sayin hogs will run from you just like any other wild animal!!!I not saying there have not been times where people have been attached. But hogs are not going to attack unless they feel cornered. Wild hogs are not man eaters like these TV shows today are saying.

· Registered
2,241 Posts
That story sounds like a stretch to me..:head: I've seen hogs swim through a hole that had plenty of decoys in it and not mess with them. Not saying that it could never happen but I would be skeptical on a story like that especially when someone "shot one, but it got away"....:confused:

· Registered
514 Posts

Think I can top that story. Here ya go………………. On the job one day we were talking about hog hunting. One of my contactors (must be the same one). Said he was deer hunting by himself down around Hampton in the river bottoms, when he walked up on a pack of hogs. He said the hogs saw him and started to charge him. So he climbed the nearest tree with reachable limbs. He said the hogs circled the tree and kept him bayed, so he shot one thinking they would run off. He said after the hog he shot stopped kicking the others started eating it. Then he dropped his gun trying to get out on a limb. He said after a few hours in the tree the hogs started walking off. As he was climbing down to get his gun and make a run to his truck he looked up and saw more hogs coming. So he went back up the tree. When the other hogs got there they came right up to the tree he was in then started eating the remains of the hog he had shot. They too kept him at bay for a few hours. They started to leave and what do you think happened. Yet another group of hogs came in as the others were leaving. He said this happened all night. The hogs ran 2 -3 hour shifts on him keeping him up the tree. At daylight the next morning the last bunch left. He said he stayed up the tree for 30 mins or so watching for more hogs. He said as he hit the ground and got his gun he looked up and saw 5 hogs coming toward him. He started running to his truck. He made it to his truck and dove into the bed just in time to escape the hogs. He said they circled his truck. He started shooting. He said he killed all 5. He got in his truck and drove home to get his brother to help him come back and get the hogs he had shot. He said when they got back that afternoon there was nothing left but 5 skeletons.

Must be the same contractor your story came from. This brings me to the same response to my contractor. BULL BUTTER ! How can you spin such a yarn for the truth and expect grown folks to believe it!:fit:

· Registered
2,518 Posts
Think I can top that story. Here ya go………………. On the job one day we were talking about hog hunting. One of my contactors (must be the same one). Said he was deer hunting by himself down around Hampton in the river bottoms, when he walked up on a pack of hogs. He said the hogs saw him and started to charge him. So he climbed the nearest tree with reachable limbs. He said the hogs circled the tree and kept him bayed, so he shot one thinking they would run off. He said after the hog he shot stopped kicking the others started eating it. Then he dropped his gun trying to get out on a limb. He said after a few hours in the tree the hogs started walking off. As he was climbing down to get his gun and make a run to his truck he looked up and saw more hogs coming. So he went back up the tree. When the other hogs got there they came right up to the tree he was in then started eating the remains of the hog he had shot. They too kept him at bay for a few hours. They started to leave and what do you think happened. Yet another group of hogs came in as the others were leaving. He said this happened all night. The hogs ran 2 -3 hour shifts on him keeping him up the tree. At daylight the next morning the last bunch left. He said he stayed up the tree for 30 mins or so watching for more hogs. He said as he hit the ground and got his gun he looked up and saw 5 hogs coming toward him. He started running to his truck. He made it to his truck and dove into the bed just in time to escape the hogs. He said they circled his truck. He started shooting. He said he killed all 5. He got in his truck and drove home to get his brother to help him come back and get the hogs he had shot. He said when they got back that afternoon there was nothing left but 5 skeletons.

Must be the same contractor your story came from. This brings me to the same response to my contractor. BULL BUTTER ! How can you spin such a yarn for the truth and expect grown folks to believe it!:fit:
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! Cept, they wasn't hogs, they were really tall albino pigmys, and I was in Africa.

· Registered
3,418 Posts
The guy I know that hog hunts with dogs, has like 15 crazy hog dogs and at one time had at least 30 hogs in a pen that he caught. Says that hogs won't chase you that they will run just like any other animal. Now if you corner one they will defend themselves. He's who I'll believe....

· Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, I never said the hogs threaten the boys (young men), the hogs came into the hole and started biting at the decoys. I wasn't there. I'm only telling the story told to me by a VERY RELIABLE source. I've known this man since we were both in grade school. We grew up in the same neighborhood. If this man says the hogs were biting, as if trying to eat, the decoys, I believe him. I know him. I've never met most of you, thus I hold his word above most of yours. Besides, it's not any different than a coyote charging in and attacking a turkey decoy. Unusual things happen in the woods, sometimes. That's all I'll say about it. I just thought it would be interesting to others.

· Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,597 Posts
John, I aint got enough meat on me, they would just use me to pick their teeth with after they ate Tracy or Vales!!!:fit:
You and me both. Besides that, they'd prolly get sick and die if they ate me. I take so much medicine, even ticks wont stay on me anymore. LOL If I go to sleep in the woods, it will be up off the ground. I knew an old sow back in the "Red Line" that would chase ya up a tree, she couldn't climb past about 4', but would stand there woofing at ya just like a squirrel dog. Back then every hog belonged to somebody and if you killed one, the owner would be on your front porch with a shotgun quick, fast, and in a hurry!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.