Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have at least one hog behind my deer stand in a low spot. I know this because of this big root spot he has all tore up. I'm looking for tips on taking him out. I have never taken a hog before and would not know the first thing about hunting it.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
If you think you may only have one or two in there, you may just put up a trap and bait it or just put out corn and hunt the spot. I would think one of these options would be best unless you can find someone with dogs that will help you remove this one hog. Put up a corn feeder and game cam to see just how many you do have around there.

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so should I try tracking around for entry exit spots to the root and figure out where to setup? Also, what times of the day are hogs more likely to be active this time of year?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
All i have been seeing is early in the morning and late in the evening. Once it gets hot they will be using some wallows during the day but they bed down most of the hot part of the day. I would probably just put out a corn feeder and hunt late in the evening so i didn't spook him early in the morning on the way to the stand. If that don't work and you really want him out of there you may put out a trap but you will need to check it every day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thal212 - Can you shoot a hog now? If you can, then buy some "Sow in Heat"
lure/bottle spray and spray it on a clean rag and hang the rag on a bush or small tree close to the ground. Spray all around the spot where you want the hog to be standing. Make sure it is in a spot that you can get a good clear shot (near the hog rootin'). It will attract both boars and sows. Wait for the hog to stop moving, when it stops to smell the rag - shoot him between the eye and the ear, if close. If he is further away, then shoot him in the shoulder area. If you can, try to have a steady rest for your rifle. A good time of day is usually around one hour before sunset up to dark -thirty.
Good luck and good eating!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts