Hog hunting on WMA with 30 06

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by B_Price, Jan 2, 2011.

1. B_Price

B_Price Well-Known Member

I want to hog hunt on petite jean wma. I saw some when I was out tree rat hunting today but only had my .22 mag. I know you can hunt them with any legal weapon as long as there is a season open. Well since coyote season is open and you can use up to a .30 cal rifle I should be able to use my 30 06. Also would I have to wear orange or not? Thanks in advance.

2. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

a head shot with that 22mag will drop a hog. just hard sometime to get a good head shot. and yes you can use your 30-06. not sure about the orange though

3. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    Make sure where your hunting is commission owned. On Corps land you have to use rimfire unless a deer season is open.

4. jsilver919

Can anyone tell me if Camp Robinson if Commission or Corps owned

5. truck24hr

Alma
    It will show in the Reg book who it is owned by. It is clear as mud if you look at the gun regulation part in the book. I took a boat and killed a big hog on one of the islands in the river with my SKS. My son was with me and we also had two shotguns and an M1A, plus my 45. Game warden met us at the ramp and informed us of the reg difference between Corp land and G&F land, and said the fine was $600 per gun that was illegal. We were lucky to get out of there with a ticket for not having or nav lights on the boat.

6. B_Price

http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/wmaDetails.aspx?show=510

Looks like its owned by arkansas game and fish so Im good it looks like using the 30 06. Not sure about wearing orange though. I took a shot at one with the .22 mag. I waited for a good head shot but I missed. I thought for sure I had it but the pig ran off and I found no blood or hair. Im going back later tonight with some friends and try and track again. I want to use the larger rifle so I can aim for the heart and lungs and have a larger kill zone. Plus the area I found them at will allow me to take a few 100 + yard shots so I added range will be nice. Plus the pigs I came across were good size. I took me time to find a smaller one to shoot but it was still 150lb Im guessing.

7. jsilver919

just remember them small ones are the good tasting ones! i got one last yr 90lbs and it sure was some good eating

8. Oakhill

Oakhill Well-Known Member

I killed four about 60 lbs. each with a regular 22 LR., 3 head shots and one through the lungs.

That 22 mag should do a good job on any hog.

You only need orange when deer season is in on the area you hunt.

9. truck24hr

Alma
    No need for orange. Good luck

10. B_Price

I think I just missed it. But yes 22 mag would prob work if I did my part but 30 06 will do it so much better so nice to know I can use it. It took me awhile to find a nice "SMALL" hog out of the bunch. They all were pretty big. There were a few large size footballs running around but they went into the thick pretty quick. I was trying to get a small easy to hit hog rather than a big trophy. It would of been my first hog but I think I will have a good spot set up tomorrow when I go hunt. Im setting up my pop up ground blind also to cover my scent a little better.

11. truck24hr

Alma
    I'm with ya B, no need to try w/22 mag if you can use a centerfire.

12. B_Price

Update

I got to the place where I saw the hogs yesterday at about 3 this afternoon. I figured I would set up my pop up blind on one of the fire breaks that surrounds this slew that Ive been hunting. Picture a slew with a 50-100ft fire break going all the way around it making a jagged looking square with this woods bordering the outside of the slew. Well Im sitting in my blind and dont see much of anything. About 4 50 I get out and was going to walk further down the firebreak and see if I can see something crossing it when I walk around the corner. Dont see anything but a bunch of hog tracks.

This is where it gets interesting. Im walking back towards my blind and I get within 100ft of it when I hear something big walking through the slew breaking some twigs and what not so I stop walking and just sit and listen. Well it sounds like its comming closer and closer so I start walking backwards as not to spook it when it comes out. It keeeps comming directly for me. I ended up turning and walking forward to cover more ground cause I figured it is about ready to pop out. I do this for about 50ft and just crouch down waiting for it to bust out any second but dang thingis still following me towards my position. Well I figured this might get intense so I grabmy .22 pistol and cock a round into the chamber because I thought I was about ready to scrap with something. Well no sooner did I do that a hog stuck his head out of the brush and hunkered down like what a cat would do before it charges something. Well I soon as I drop the pistol to the ground to grap the 30 06 this thing walks back into the thick. It didnt spook when it saw me. It spooked when it saw me seeing it.

Well I call my buddy when I saw this cause it was pretty crazy and it was past sunset so I could no longer kill something. I was talking to him in a normal voice and I could here more movement in the slew and I got off the phone with him I hurried over to my blind but before I could get close to it I started hearing more and more stuff running towards me in the slew so I pop off 3 rounds of .22lr to turn their direction. It only made them stop. They started to walk towards me again about 1min later. By then I had my blind taken down and almost zipped in my bag. I hear it again so I shoot off a few more rounds and then I could see the movement of them running through the slew. They were CLOSE! I walked town the fire break towards my truck and had to shoot a few more times to keep them away. Ended up having to put a new clip in the pistol.

Final stretch to the truck. About 1/2 mile from where this all started and I stop and see a hog walking next to the tree line comming towards me at a fast jog I shoot towards but not at it and it goes off into the woods. I reach the truck and hear something walking again so I shoot one last time to see another hog go running off towards the woods. They were FOLLLOWING me.
    I didnt want to shoot the 30 06 off cause I only had 4 shells and I figured I would use those up before I made it to the truck and thats why I shot the pistol so many times. I had no covernything of anytpye just got out of the shower before I headed down there. Could my body wash been attracting them? I use that axe body wash and shampoo so maybe hogs like that. lol Also I saw a few piglets yesterday and saw a lot of small hog tracks so maybe they were acting like this because of the piplets.

Last time I go hog hunting by myself :banghead:

13. B_Price

In the last paragraph its suppose to say I had no cover scent or attracting scent of any type on. I was fresh out of the shower.

14. jsilver919

i had a similar experience a few yrs back but it was a coyote during ML season. big mistake!!! he caught 300gr out of my good ole Encore:fit::fit:

15. B_Price

Fast little buggers wouldnt even let me get a shot off. Going to try again wednesday morning with a buddy and see if we can get some bacon. Seems to be enough of them out there. lol

16. truck24hr

Alma
    Time for a grenade, sounds like. I personally would love it if they did that.

17. jsilver919

i'd love it too. i'll introduce them to a 7.62x39 hollow point or 2 :fit::fit::fit:

18. B_Price

Went out again yestderday morning with a friend and didnt see anything so I think they are def moving more towards sunset.

19. Hey that sounds awesome...my hunting buddy & I are actually heading over there on Friday, I'm not asking you about your honey hole there, but having never been there, could any of y'all give me a heads up on a good spot there on Petit Jean WMA to try to spot/stalk a pig? Thanks, JB