Hog Huntin at night

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by CrappieMaster220, Dec 27, 2010.

1. CrappieMaster220

CrappieMaster220 Well-Known Member

I've got a problem with hogs and was wondering...

Do hogs stare at a spotlight like deer? Thought about just driving down the road at camp and spotlighting into the food plots, the hogs are everywhere... I've got deer cam pics with over 28 hogs in them..

2. Tushhawg

Tushhawg Well-Known Member

I would be EXTREMELY carefull doing that.:down:

3. mmcginty19

mmcginty19 Well-Known Member

According to the rulebook you can hunt hogs day or night year round on private land. If it was me I would take precautions as to try and not be seen from a public road.

4. CrappieMaster220

I would be quite a distance from a public road and was going to call the GW ahead of time to notify him I would be there...

5. bayed solid

bayed solid Well-Known Member

Hogs

Lets go catch some of them with my dogs? Jason 1-870-692-7447

6. CrappieMaster220

Jason I may give you a call when I go, I've been so ate up with duck hunting and waiting for deer season to end I haunt bothered with them... The duck hunting is getting slow though so I may break off and go down there... How does hunting with dogs work?

7. kwackwacker809

kwackwacker809 Well-Known Member

Just turn em loose and wait for them to bay then run up and catch em then shoot stab or carry out alive

8. bayed solid

bayed solid Well-Known Member

Yup

That pretty much sums it up except i dont ever carry a gun but i will stick one if i have to :thumb:

9. I would talk with the local G/W's and let them know what you want to do.
    They are the ones that get the calls about the shots at night.
    Jason's way is the best way to control them.:up:

10. roydchristopher

roydchristopher Well-Known Member

hogs at night

We have a couple of members who have put motion sensor led lights on their feeders and set up on them for hogs at night. Our camp leases private land in zone 12. We called the GW and he gave blessing to hunt them at night. For several years we have notified the GW when we were going to hunt hogs at night or even hunt hogs outside of deer season. Never any problems when we did the notifications. They appreciate this knowledge of night activity if someone calls. The members also put up cameras, but beware that older flash cameras will scare hogs when they flash.

11. Bowhunt Only

Bowhunt Only Forum Sponsor<br>Mossy Oak Properties

This is what I do also, as for turning dogs loose it can be fun but once you turn dogs loose they get harder and harder to hunt. Used to take 15 minutes to bay now it takes hours and thats with 6-7 dogs. Nothing against dogging them but I am against carrying any out alive, this is why we have hogs from North to South.

12. Bowhunt Only

Bowhunt Only Forum Sponsor<br>Mossy Oak Properties

Oh and to answer your question. NO they will not look into the light. Every now and then you will pick up an eye; however, there is no such saying "like a hog in the headlight!" I will say this though, they seem to be more at ease at night and you can get away with making a mistake or two. Ive spot and stocked many with a bow in the open woods at night. Killed quite a few that way but now I just call up the warden and use the gun. Much easier!!!