Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been finding wallowing in some muddy trails.
Do wallows indicate a hogs home range?

Since there are only a couple wallows I’m guessing it’s a couple boars.

So I guess my question is do wallows and mud on trees indicate a hogs home range and will they be somewhat close to these areas?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Our hogs travel miles. They know where all the feeders are and they have a route they travel every night going from one feeder to the next. This is the first year that we have had a resident group stay on the lease. Almost all activity is at night. I already HATE these things. One of our members has a catch dog and is involved with a group other hog dog guys. Hopefully they can come in after deer season and catch/kill a few.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We are now instructing other members to kill every hog on site. That's namely to me as I was told to me for the last few years and I just didn't want to... But now they're eating all my corn up and pushing my dear away, I've had to go ahead and attack. I did kill and eat one of them and she was good. Very clean, but I have a couple of big boys that only on camera. The only night I've seen the big four, I was going to shoot him in something told him to back out which was strange. Ever since then they will not show up during hunting hours.

I purchased a green light for my gun and I purchase also some red and green lights that I'm making portable so I can put them in areas where I'm going to stay till about 8:30 to 10:00 and start taking them out. I really don't want to do a headshot and drag them out, I want to do a shot that way they'll run off and die somewhere else. Being with that it's going to attract the coyotes to him... Which is another problem. I think that hogs and coyotes keep us from having turkeys. They just compete with the deer.. but now I'm starting to see bobcats. Always something.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We’ve typically only had them in dry years, but I’m getting the same group coming through at night.
killed one the other day that had barred, that made me mad, so now I’m gonna start trying to kill and trap these devils

·
Administrator
41,115 Posts
My experience with hogs is that they don’t have a home range, they just range. And for the most part they’re unpredictable.

We’ll get a picture or two on a game camera at a feeder then nothing for a week or two then all of a sudden you get pictures at a different feeder. You’d think once they found a reliable food source like a feeder they’d be regulars but that ain’t the case or at least not where I hunt.

And like someone else said, most of the time when we do get a picture it’s at night or I’m in a different stand.
Plant Tree Working animal Black-and-white Grass

Plant Tree Black Black-and-white Style
Black Flash photography Grass Art Font

Organism Black-and-white Flash photography Terrestrial animal Grass

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I have had big boar hogs go uneaten - by coyotes or buzzards for months in winter
Cut a slice in their hide to see if it helps. I drug the big boar my wife killed 3 miles down the road to weigh and then back. The pavement and gravel rubbed a big hole in its side and it was gone in three days. Something even drud its head off!

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Cut a slice in their hide to see if it helps. I drug the big boar my wife killed 3 miles down the road to weigh and then back. The pavement and gravel rubbed a big hole in its side and it was gone in three days. Something even drud its head off!
Agree. One of my friends takes a knife & opens up the belly of the hogs they shoot & don't want. He says the coyotes & buzzards take care of them pretty quick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts