Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of anything going on to get hog dogs allowed on to public land in Arkansas I’ve read everything the game and fish has put out and I see more hogs on the public I hunt every year and if you do anything about it you’re breaking the law I have hunted multiple wmas and only seen one that had traps and the guy that works for game and fish said they quit setting them because the bears kept getting in them so I can’t understand any of there reasoning it would be one thing if there wasn’t hogs on wmas in Arkansas and they were worried about people putting hogs on the wmas but there already there

·
Registered
265 Posts
Two things
Game wardens assigned to WMA’s have all that public land to trap,ride wheelers, etc so they are not going to be for anything that would upset that.
2. Some hog doggers are the reason we will never be able to hunt public with dogs. I knew two different groups who got caught coming out of WMA with a live hog their dogs had caught. I actually ended up with some of the dogs cu they guys were fined and license taken away for 3 years.
But it would help if they allowed dogs, just say no catch dogs, gotta shoot them and leave them.
Hell I told them I would pay for a permit when I hunted petit jean WMA

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two things
Game wardens assigned to WMA’s have all that public land to trap,ride wheelers, etc so they are not going to be for anything that would upset that.
2. Some hog doggers are the reason we will never be able to hunt public with dogs. I knew two different groups who got caught coming out of WMA with a live hog their dogs had caught. I actually ended up with some of the dogs cu they guys were fined and license taken away for 3 years.
But it would help if they allowed dogs, just say no catch dogs, gotta shoot them and leave them.
Hell I told them I would pay for a permit when I hunted petit jean WMA
I know you’re not wrong but one of the two game wardens on a wma right up the road from me hates all these hog bans as much as we do and a few hog hunters may have been a problem but there are also a few deer hunters that do all there hunting out of truck windows but that doesn’t mean we should end deer season it just means that the few need dealt with and even a permit system similar to depredation permits would make more since then what’s happening right now

·
Registered
816 Posts
They were running dogs for hogs at the beginning of bow season this year on poteau mountain. Don’t know if it was legal but I watched them chase a big group of hogs right past me. I thought at first someone was running dogs for deer getting them ready for the season but I’ve never seen anyone run curs for deer dogs.

·
Registered
973 Posts
so... if a hunter had a legit squirrel dog that happened to get on a hog, could the hunter kill the hog and take the thing for the meat? or are there consequences for taking the meat? I like free pork, and I had a dog, once, that was good treedog, but the first time she seen a hog, it was like something awakened deep inside her and she was made for hogs. asking for a friend... lol

·
Premium Member
29,427 Posts
so... if a hunter had a legit squirrel dog that happened to get on a hog, could the hunter kill the hog and take the thing for the meat? or are there consequences for taking the meat? I like free pork, and I had a dog, once, that was good treedog, but the first time she seen a hog, it was like something awakened deep inside her and she was made for hogs. asking for a friend... lol
At pond creek nwr - you can kill them during ml season, during a two day quota only mg season, and with a bow in Nov and Dec. You cant kill them while squirrel hunting unless that reg has changed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
At pond creek nwr - you can kill them during ml season, during a two day quota only mg season, and with a bow in Nov and Dec. You cant kill them while squirrel hunting unless that reg has changed.
I have been wanting to find a hog and kill it with archery tackle, kind of a spot-and-stalk kinda thing... is the population large enough on the pond creek to have some decent success with this style? i would drive down from mt ida, but if it wouldnt be worth it... maybe not.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have been wanting to find a hog and kill it with archery tackle, kind of a spot-and-stalk kinda thing... is the population large enough on the pond creek to have some decent success with this style? i would drive down from mt ida, but if it wouldnt be worth it... maybe not.
It’s worth it my squirrel dogs come face to face with hogs at pond creek every year. They don’t mess with them much but when they get up in their face they bay them for a short time. Hog sign everywhere you go

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.