Hog 'bout them basketball hogs!

Discussion in 'Razorbacks' started by ArkArcher, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Playing tough right now! 4 in a row and will be ranked today (polls not out yet). Lets see if they can pull out a BIG win at the Knox on wednesday!!

WPS :thumb: :thumb:

2. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

WPS!! :thumb: I think we should keep Pelprey for now! :biggrin:

3. possum

possum Well-Known Member

Nope not ranked but that may be for the best, still playing for respect.

4. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

If we can pull out a W Wednesday we'll be ranked for sure. I think

5. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Boy that shows you the respect AR gets. Still not ranked after going 3-0 against 2 teams in the top 25 and one right out of the polls. And two of those wins was by about 20 points. Crazy. And Florida, who went 1-1 this week, still got in. Something doesn't add up. :smack: :thumb: Oh well, win Wednesday and saturday and we'll jump in to the top 20. :thumb:

6. CP

CP Guest

We can only get "in" if one of the top dogs...lose and drop completely OUT of the top 25...:wink:

They sure are not going to drop another winning team out just for us.

Forget ranking...just win, and all things work out.

7. flintknapper

Dang right it will! :biggrin:

8. F B

F B Administrator Staff Member

Cabot
    Its true that if they keep winning it will take care of itself, but I think they should be ranked also.

Several teams have 5 losses (Marquette has 6) and whose to say that theyre any better, or at least playing any better right now, than the Hogs?

We'll see what theyre made of in the next week or two. Alot of road games are coming up.

Oh well, I think its a just a matter of time before Pelphrey has em back up there consistently anyway. :thumb:

9. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

East End
    they scared me a little bit there at the end but a win is a win. the hogs have played great the last 3 games. let's see if they can keep it up this week with road trips to knoxville and starkville...2 tough places to play.

10. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

when they were 3-2 against M State i said that was THE critical game of the year. They won, and are now 6-2 and IF they win Wed at TN ? HUGE boost there, and might very well win the SEC west.

that said if they lose, they still have a favorable enough schedule to get 20-21 wins in and win the SEC West, it'll just be much harder

NCAA tourney bid all bu wrapped up short of an implosion, even a .500 here on out gets us in

11. CP

CP Guest

The "rankings" are not based on a won/lost number as the indicator.

When you take the "rpi" and "sos" into account...that is the determining factors....and we are a few numbers shy.

A win at the Vol's would change all that...:thumb:

WPS~~

12. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

East End
    tenn did not play very well against lsu on saturday. they won but only scored 47 points.

13. flintknapper

I saw that, and in my groggy state I couldn't figger out who was still playin' football....

The Vols are beatable, but we'll have to do our part! WPS! :biggrin:

14. F B

Cabot
    Id have to disagree with you on that one for the most part.

Im pressed for time right now but computer rankings depend on sos and rpi.

In most of the polls, coaches, sportswriters, etc. vote on them and in alot of cases they are biased for teams that are in their leagues, have winning programs, etc.

In the past Arkansas has benefited from that bias but now its working against us.

Of course losing to App. State doesnt help the argument much. :smack:

15. CP

CP Guest

USA/ESPN
    (24 of the same teams make up the AP top 25 poll also)

1. Memphis (23-0)...775...1...31
    2. Duke (21-1)...742...2...0
    3. Kansas (23-1)...712...5...0
    4. Tennessee (21-2)...663...7...0
    5. North Carolina (22-2)...654...3...0
    6. UCLA (21-3)...607...4...0
    7. Stanford (20-3)...575...9...0
    8. Georgetown (19-3)...534...6...0
    9. Michigan State (20-3)...506...10...0
    10. Butler (21-2)...482...11...0
    11. Texas (19-4)...429...12...0
    12. Indiana (20-3)...423...13...0
    13. Xavier (20-4)...380...14...0
    14. Wisconsin (19-4)...376...8...0
    15. Drake (22-1)...361...15...0
    16. Texas A&M (20-4)...278...18...0
    17. Connecticut (18-5)...274...19...0
    18. Notre Dame (18-4)...221...21...0
    19. Vanderbilt (20-4)...183...20...0
    20. Washington State (18-5)...175...17...0
    21. Saint Mary’s (20-3)...144...23...0
    22. Kansas State (17-5)...124...24...0
    23. Purdue (19-5)...118...not ranked...0
    24. Pittsburgh (18-5)...68...25...0
    25. Marquette (16-6)...64...16...0

Ranking are clearly not by the won/lost record.

16. F B

Cabot
    Its pretty clear to me that win/loss record has an awful lot to do with polls.

Memphis is #1 but only because they are unbeaten.

And theyre unbeaten because they havent really played anybody.

Take a look at these power ratings. Youll have to scroll down to 47 to see Memphis.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/9powerratings.php3

Theyre #31 in this one.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2006/sos

Tennessee, Duke, and N. Carolina all have a higher RPI than Memphis but theyre ranked below them.

17. Polls are a mute issue in basketball for the most part due to a play off system at the end of the season to determine a true National Champion. Of course it does not hurt to be ranked in the top 25 polls at the end of the season and may help a "bubble team" but after the teams that automatically qualify for the NCAA Championship, the rest of the teams that are invited are the ones who have a high RPI and strength of schedule, strength of conference, beating other teams that have made it in, winning record on the road and how well they have played coming down the stretch at the end of the season and how far they advanced in their conference championships. Past history and glory's do not play a role as much as a lot of people think. It's what you did today and not what you did last year so to speak.

I just wish the Championship Series Football had a play off even if it was just 8 teams.

18. F B

Cabot
    I agree with you about polls and the tournament but I dont see how you can say that polls are a mute issue during the regular season.

Polls are extremely important imo.

Its a standard of measurement that is used to gauge a teams success.

Only one team can with the NC but 25 of them can be ranked.

It gives teams and schools bragging rights.

If youre consistently ranked in the Top 25 people know who you are, and more importantly, recruits know who you are. Its a lot easier to recruit a kid to play at a Top 25 school.

I also disagree that past history doesnt play a part in opinion polls which is what most of these are. If you think some of the writers that vote in these things arent biased for the teams and conferences they cover then I dont know what else to say other than I think that youre wrong.

Go back and look at the preseason polls over the years and youll see alot of the same teams over and over. And when Kentucky or N. Carolina or Duke or several other teams lose a game they dont usually fall very far. Thats because of the history of their programs.

19. I said it was a mute issue for the most part but it does have some weight as you pointed out.

There are a several teams not in the top 25 that are good ball teams and could or should be in the top 25 (like Arkansas). As for as recruits go, when you tell a kid you have made the NCAA tourney X number of times out of the last 5 years and if you advanced I think that has more weight than saying we were ranked #X in the polls last year. The teams that make the big dance has a lot more credibility than a top 25 team that did not make the big dance.

What you say about the history and the bias of voters absolutely proves my point that the top 25 polls is not that important as the teams that make it to the big dance and the recruits know that as well.

As for as the big teams that are in the top 25 it seems every year don't fall very far is true when they lose to a certain extent, but look at Kentucky a perennial top 10 team. No way could the writers keep the Wildcats in the polls this year.

I think we can both agree that Arkansas is getting some good recruits for next year and even though we are not ranked in the top 25 it looks like we will make the big dance as long as we keep our RPI in the 45 or so. Tonight's game will be feather in our cap if we win but should not drop our RPI more than a couple of points if any if we loose. The last RPI rating I saw had the Hogs in the low to mid 30's which is great.

20. CP

CP Guest

Taken from your first link...
    http://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/mempower.php3?q=Memphis+Basketball

MEMPHIS
    Record: 23-0
    Power Rating: 100.4
    Ranking: 1

3-0 v #1-25
    4-0 v #26-50
    2-0 v #51-100
    8-0 v #101-200
    6-0 v #201-341
    ----------------------
    To get the (complete) "RPI"
    and using your chosen forum (teamrankings.com)

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/8powerratings.php3

TN is #1
    Duke is #2
    N. Carolina is #3
    Memphis is #4

And the Memphis wins vs top fifty teams..
    Oklahoma
    Connecticut
    Southern Cal
    Cincinnati
    Georgetown
    Arizona
    Gonzaga

TN is the only other team to have more victories over top 50 teams..

As for your second link..http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2006/sos

Here is what I got
    "STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE"
    Last Updated: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:37 PM ET
    Lets stay with this years thingy...:thumb:

Wins=25%
    RPI=50%
    SOS=25%