Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone draw in on either of these hunts this past weekend? Just curious if any good ones were killed and what the deer activity looked like.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I checked a doe at Madison County yesterday. The biologist said the gun harvest was hurt a little by all the wind. She was the only deer I saw all evening. (He aged her at 7.5 years - her teeth were almost non-existent and she had no fat on her. She might not have made it through the winter).

He told me they checked some pretty good bucks during the muzzleload season.

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
I drew Hobbs muzzleloader and hunted Sat, Sun, and Tues. I'd already shot my doe during archery season out there, so I was holding out for a mature buck, and I just didnt catch up with him. I saw a lot of does during the hunt, but not many bucks reallly.
Tues my buddy put a bad shot on a decent buck first thing in the morning, and I helped him bloodtrail and finish it. It was quite a fiasco jumping a leg shot buck twice and trying to put him down with a muzzleloader. My buddy ran out of bullets, so I snuck up on him and put one in his head at about 15yds. It was a nice 11pt if you count the sticker.
http://www.arkansashunting.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3143&d=1227727884

My brother and dad drew Hobbs rifle tags. They said only 74 out of 150 hunters checked in on Saturday. I doubt any more showed up with the weather the rest of the week. My brother took a great 10pt.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I drew modern gun and blackpowder at Madison county, I could'nt get out there during blackpowder. I shot a 7 point that did'nt have any brow tines, I'll post pics on the contest board Tuesday. When I checked my deer the biologist said one was taken during blackpowder that scored 167, he was the biggest so far. He also said that he knew of at least 2 that where still out there that will score higher, I seen one other buck trailing the same group of does mine was after and he was a young deer, but he was a main frame ten.

·
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You had any luck out there?
I went to both places this past weekend. Saw a doe and a spike at MCWMA and 38 does at Hobbs. But no shots. Looks like they need to thin some nannies out there to me. I'm going back this weekend. Maybe I'll get a shot this time. Thats how my season has gone all year.

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
I went to both places this past weekend. Saw a doe and a spike at MCWMA and 38 does at Hobbs. But no shots. Looks like they need to thin some nannies out there to me. I'm going back this weekend. Maybe I'll get a shot this time. Thats how my season has gone all year.
Dude, I've had the same luck. I cant get a shot at a buck this year to save my life. Does all over me, but I already shot one. Of course, I've hunted 2 private properties that are big bucks only or does. All I see there are little bucks. I'm starting to think I used up all my luck on that elk hunt this year, but I cant complain about that.

38 does?! Good night! If you've got a spot like that, you'll see some bucks here soon. I saw a little buck sign last weekend. The secondary rut is near. If you're not gonna go back, just let me know, I'll keep an eye on it for you. Make sure no other hunters get in there. It's not that area we talked about when I bought that bow from you, is it?

·
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not that area we talked about when I bought that bow from you, is it?
No, its kinda a new area. I actually killed my first deer ever there when I was 14 and hunted it and never did any good there at all, so I just gave up on it for years. Just got a wild hair to go there and it was loaded up. Thats the most deer I've seen on Hobbs in one day I think. I've been planning on going back and never have made it. Its either been to windy or to cold or to something. I better keep it to myself for awhile. I'll take my chances with someone going in there on me.:biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.