Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on an annual muzzle loader hunt to Big Island this past weekend.We normally see around 50-60 deer in the 2 days we hunt(on stand and riding around) this year we saw a whopping 12 between the two of us and I saw only 4 of them. Rumors from other clubs were deer in the hundreds that died from the flood but we saw only one skeleton where we were hunting.We even went out at night riding and still only saw 2 deer,it may be years before Big Island is back to preflood numbers.I only hunt as a guest but I really feel sorry for you guys that hunt there as a primary hunting spot.:frown:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I heard that from a friend that hunts on Big Island. I guess there is not as easy an escape from flooding there. We have flooded much more often and more severly in the Saline River bottoms but it doesn't seem to have hurt our deer or turkey numbers as best I can tell.

Sorry to hear about that, take heart that's good habitat and the herd will bounce back quickly.

hd

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard that from a friend that hunts on Big Island. I guess there is not as easy an escape from flooding there. We have flooded much more often and more severly in the Saline River bottoms but it doesn't seem to have hurt our deer or turkey numbers as best I can tell.

Sorry to hear about that, take heart that's good habitat and the herd will bounce back quickly.

hd
I am familiar with the Saline also but down there the wildlife can simply move inland away from the flood waters. On Big Island the thing is surrounded by three rivers and when they flood it can be miles from the island to the next high ground across any of the three rivers. And therefore there is really no where to run.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I am familiar with the Saline also but down there the wildlife can simply move inland away from the flood waters. On Big Island the thing is surrounded by three rivers and when they flood it can be miles from the island to the next high ground across any of the three rivers. And therefore there is really no where to run.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Our critters just move to high ground (very easy for them) and come back when the water recedes. Much less escape opportunity on Big Island.

hd

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I kinda figured that 'The Island' would be hit pretty hard!! I hunt the west side of the Arkansas, directly across from 'the Island' & Dumas Camp can be seen from 1 of my stands! We haven't seen as many deer, riding around as we usually do, but that is not totally unusual.......sometimes ya see em and sometimes ya don't!!

According to my Trail cams.....it doesn't seem that our area was hurt very bad....I do know, back in the spring, when the water was close to 'topping out', we saw several hundred deer on the levee feeding!!!! GM had never seen so many, in her life!

I do know that the timber company biologist asked that we make a log of what we saw, from I think Aug 1 until Oct 1.....not sure of the dates.....or the results...........but they wanted to try to get an idea if the flood did hurt the population...........

·
Super Moderator
10,979 Posts
Ya i hunt the saline river bottoms and until the last week and half there wasnt any deer sign at all down there from all the floods. Now they are moving in like crazy and everytime i go i see atleast 8 which is rare for our area

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Yea I hunt in Des Ark right off the White River....This was the worst ML season in the five years I have been in the club...The game and fish gave us 20 doe tags to use and in 9 days of ML hunting we used a whopping TWO!!! Not seeing near the deer as years past.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I went on an annual muzzle loader hunt to Big Island this past weekend.We normally see around 50-60 deer in the 2 days we hunt(on stand and riding around) this year we saw a whopping 12 between the two of us and I saw only 4 of them. Rumors from other clubs were deer in the hundreds that died from the flood but we saw only one skeleton where we were hunting.We even went out at night riding and still only saw 2 deer,it may be years before Big Island is back to preflood numbers.I only hunt as a guest but I really feel sorry for you guys that hunt there as a primary hunting spot.:frown:
But I know for a fact that you ate well @
10A
:confused::cool::confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.