Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the recent high prices have an effect on your hunting?

Like most folks......
My hunting activities are paid for out of a pool of extra cash left over after bills are paid and savings goals are met. That pool is drying up fast! I find myself putting off scouting trips because of high fuel prices.

I have noticed more hunting clubs LOOKING for members than the other way around. Last year, there were a ton of people looking to join hunting clubs. This year is a little different.

I'm considering cancelling my Colorado trip due to high prices, but I know that it will never be cheaper than it is right now. If I cancel this year, it will just be more expensive next year.......
Where do you draw the line?

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
My biggest expense is always gas. This year is no different. I'm getting my bow restrung and buying a blind and I'm done except for the little things like hand warmers, etc. Luckily the last two years I have stocked up with several arrows, ammo, clothing, and boots.

There are many things that I want, but they total around $800, and I can do without. Instead that will be gas money for my trips. I got a different truck that should get 50% better gas milage at least. It not what I want or not cool, but I don't have much choice. I can't afford $20 every day I drive to my spot. I will hunt as much as I can, every day off unless it gets so bad to where I can no longer pay my bills and put food on the table.

My scouting trips will be cut back, and my fishing trips so far this summer have been few and far between.

Sad:mad:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
It has been 4 years since I've hunted Colorado but I am going this year. There will be two of my buddies to split the expenses 3 ways which will help. $500 for a out of state bull tag is a little hard to swallow but like you said it ain't going to get any cheaper. I read that gas will probably peak around Labor Day and then come down a little (can you say $4.50 a gallon :smack:) One thing to remember is that you never have seen a armored truck driving behind a hearse at a funeral. You can't take it with you :wink:

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
Thanks, "W"

Unfortunately, my "happy huntin' grounds" are on my father-n-law's land 2 1/2 hours from home in the SW part of the state. Needless to say, I don't get down there as often anymore. What can you expect though, when you put two oil men in the white house.:mad: It' price gouging....plain and simple, and that's supposed to be against the law. I just hope some oil tycoons end up doing hard time because of it.

·
Registered
20,473 Posts
I am noticing a lot of full size trucks for sale myself, and lots of openings on leases. I for one will be planning my hunting trips where I stay a few days, instead of just a one day trip. The days of jumping in the truck for a evening hunt, 120 miles round trip will be cut back drastically.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My hunting camp is 2 hours away. I would have normally gone down this weekend to mow yard and do some cleaning up and such but I did not go. It cost me 50.00 round trip to just drive down now and mow yard. I am thinking of finding a kid down there and give him the 50.00 to mow it for me.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I personally try not to let the expenses stop me from doing what I like to do. With that said I don't spend a lot of money on name brand stuff. I also don't have a lot of the luxeries that others have, but I feel like im as successful in the woods as the majority of hunters. Another thing I have never used a guide or payed for a place to hunt other than leased land which I can enjoy year round.

Basically what Im saying is they can run the gas prices up as high as they want, but I'll figure out a way to do what I love even if it comes down to getting a second job to finance it.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I personally try not to let the expenses stop me from doing what I like to do. With that said I don't spend a lot of money on name brand stuff. I also don't have a lot of the luxeries that others have, but I feel like im as successful in the woods as the majority of hunters. Another thing I have never used a guide or payed for a place to hunt other than leased land which I can enjoy year round.

Basically what Im saying is they can run the gas prices up as high as they want, but I'll figure out a way to do what I love even if it comes down to getting a second job to finance it.
Ditto!!

From my place to the camp/cabin is 125 miles ..one way....from GM's, it's just a little over 200 miles.......that's close to 600 miles every other weekend, from my place to her's, and to camp and back, and then back home early Monday mornings..............but we have fun and enjoy ourselves over there, so the money for gas is a concern, but it ain't gonna stop us from having fun!!!!.......and my Z71 get 14mpg pulling the Ranger on the trailer, or not..............

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
well my deer camp is about 10 miles away from the house so I am pretty lucky there. But duck hunting is a different story I have a few places around here. The majority of my duck hunting is done 2 hours away from the house.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.