Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people's opinions are on this issue? I have heard about some high fence places where animals are stacked in like cord wood. Others, though, are short on numbers of animals and long on numbers of acres. If you had a chance to hunt a high fence ranch, would you? Would it matter if you were hunting for something native to the area like whitetails or an exotic like red deer? Would it matter how much money was involved? Would you expect to pay for a hunt without harvesting any animal? Answer one or all of these, if you have the time. Plus, if anyone else has questions, throw them up on the thread. Thanks, guys and guyettes!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
High fence is for the rich people. It should be outlaw but that will not happen to much money be made. Should go around and cut holes in the fence and let them run free. Real hunter dont need high fence to kill deer.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I am not saying it is correct, but there are some circumstances where it could be nice. It all rolls around $$$$. If a person has the ability to purchase a large amount of land and put a tall fence around it is that bad? What if they manage it as to produce whatever quality of deer they want though food plots, nutrient supplements, genetics, etc. It could cost those folks tens of thousands of $$$ anually.

One of my favorite hunting shows is Keith Warren's. http://www.keithwarren.netHe seems to be a semi-average guy with $$$$. His ranch is the first one listed on guide servies. He owns a high fence place in Texas. They don't consider themselves as keeping deer in, but rather keeping other deer out. They have managed their heard to its peak and I am sure it will only get better. The best thing they have is they can let their deer age. The guide tells you if it is a shooter or not.

Back to the basic question.......... I don't know if it right or not, but I can tell you that ANYONE with disposible cash like that would build the same thing if they could. Also, I don't know what the limits are in Texas or wherever, but if you had to kill "x" amount of deer a year to balance the herd, why not book hunters to help cover the cost of land management and so fourth? Just take a realistic look at what you spend individually on any food plots, tractors, land, implements, stands, the lists goes on and on

BTW, there is a club around Pine Bluff that has done it on their land. I am told their deer herd quality is getting real good. They just started with the deer that were in the fence when they put it up so I am told.

Just rambling,

2dogs

·
Administrator
81,378 Posts
There is a lot of difference having 20 acres high fenced vs 10,000 acres. One answer doesn't fit all.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
its not hunting at all, just killing. i have no respect for someone who goes out and kills a 160 " + buck behind a fence just so he can hang it on the wall and brag about his "hunt"

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
There is a lot of difference having 20 acres high fenced vs 10,000 acres. One answer doesn't fit all.
Right....:wink:

You better not offer me a free hunt on a 10,000 (plus) acre south Texas enclosure..:rolleyes:

I would have to consider myself a mentally challenged (complete idiot) hunter to refuse that hunt.

·
Administrator
81,378 Posts

You better not offer me a free hunt on a 10,000 (plus) acre south Texas enclosure..:rolleyes:

I would have to consider myself a mentally challenged (complete idiot) hunter to refuse that hunt.
Yep, offer a free hunt on a 10,000 acre high fence operation in the brush country of south Texas to these naysayers and see how many would ACTUALLY turn it down.

·
Banned
7,034 Posts

:thumb:

Another thing on the high fence operations is with the exotics they can offer hunting opportunities all year long. If I had the money I would go on a few just for that reason. Would rather be hunting behind a high fence for exotics in May, then just sittin around waiting for October to come around.

Since I dont have lots of $$$, I just sit around and wait for October.:frown:

·
Registered
22,248 Posts
if its high fenced, those deer are livestock, owned and controlled by the landowner to a wide degree

it should be 100% legal, not unlike growing livestock of any kind from cattle to exotics to rhea's to ostrich to deer - all livestock, privately owned and operated

you want to kill one of them for a fee ? go for it, not unlike killing a steer or a pig

its NOT hunting, don't call it hunting, dont' expect great kudos for killing one of them, don't expect to enter them into record books , don't expect to be able to compare it with wild deer that were killed, expect great tasting meat and/or a big set of antlers

thats what I think about it

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
In my opinion, there is nothing inherently wrong with "high fence hunting." It really all depends on the size of the fenced in area. Deer inside of very large enclosures where there is enough habitat to carry out the entire life cycle of a deer are probably as difficult to kill as any other deer. On the other hand, killing deer in a pen (small enclosure with no opportunity for escape) is an entirely different matter and shouldn't be called hunting. If folks want to do that, fine. Just don't call it hunting. Those that turn their nose up at hunting inside a high fence simply because the fence exists are simply being narrow-minded, or jealous, or both. While I wouldn't consider killing a deer inside a 2 or 3 acre pen, I'd jump at the opportunity to hunt deer inside of a well-managed 1000+ acre high fence enclosure.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
It doesn't appeal to me personally. I enjoy hunting myself.
The wildlife belongs to the people (state)
I want to know if these high fence operators be it 10000 or 20 acres removed all the wild game before selling animals are or they selling animals that don't belong to them?

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
what the difference between 20 acres and 10000 acres to a deer??? we all know buck deer roam around and a few thousand acres. To him is just a walk in the park looking for some food and women.

wait that was ignorant statement on my part, deer in fences don't have to roam for food, the feed truck drops off a load of corn each morning and night :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
It don't bother me the least bit if that's what you want to do go for it, more power to ya and I'm glad you got that kind of money. Now as far as me going on one of them hunts ya see I don't consider myself that mentally challenged so if one of ya'll want to offer to pay for it....I'll go, and I don't expect to enter them into record books because you can't, but I can compare it to any other deer that I kill(ya see that's for me to decide and nobody else), and yes I would expect some great tasting meat and/or a big set of antlers.

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
Those that turn their nose up at hunting inside a high fence simply because the fence exists are simply being narrow-minded, or jealous, or both.
I couldnt agree more.

This is a case where size definitely matters. Hunting an animal fenced into only a few acres could be called a canned hunt but hunting thousands of acres is far from it.

Ive never deer hunted behind a fence before before Ive bowhunted hogs and exotics behind one and anybody that thinks the fence makes it easy (to put it bluntly) just doesnt know what theyre talking about.

It might mean there are more animals to choose from because they can control numbers but its not a gimme.

Why would anyone think that an animal loses its senses or gets stupid just because its inside a high fence?

Ill even go so far as to say that on some of these ranches that Ive hog hunted on, the animals were more of a challenge than free ranging animals are.

One group of hunters comes in and hunts for 2 or 3 days then the next group comes along.

That makes it harder, not easier.

Besides, like possum said, I get to decide what a trophy is, not some record book or another hunter.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
A 16 square mile area is a little much to say a deer is hemmed in and can't "roam" around. Most all deer I talk to don't travel out of an open range 16 sq. mile area...and You could hunt it all year and not get closer than two miles to a fence...:smack: AND if it was free...

Good counter point there rjet..:wink:

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
If I got the chance to hunt some exotic animal. I wouldn't care if it was a fence in Texas or on the plains of Africa. It's doubtful, but someday I might be able to afford a hunt like that in Texas, but not on some other continent. Plus with the way Americans are viewed by the rest of the world I would just as soon stay as close to home as possible, and you know what the old commericals used to say "Texas, it's a whole other country". I could go on a safari and never leave the States. :biggrin: And I'm like possum, when it comes to comparing trophies, I only compare mine against each other. I could care less about being in the record books.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I would do it if it was free, and I wouldnt expect to put it in the books you should know that going in.

One of the main reasons I am not against high fence is b/c I have seen shows were kids with life threating illnesses get to hunt and they kill a nice buck. These kids may not have the years/months/days, left to try and harvest a deer on unfenced/managed land. And yes they should expect great KUDOS for getting that deer.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't have the $$$ to go on one of those high fenced hunts. I do hunt private land when I can find it and that is where the rub lies with me. Restricting accesst o private land is the reason people hunt on private land. Not restricting access to everyone's wildlife is the reason certain people hunt right along the fence line of private land or just outside the purple paint. I understand this.

What is difficult for me is the idea that landowners can put up a fence to keep deer that belong to everybody on their land. The same thing applies to all wildlife that is native to an area. I have no qualms with people putting up a high fence and releasing whatever wild animal from another country inside their property. That said they should be at least reasonable and prudent about releasing dangerous animals.

Native wildlife does not "Belong" to the landowner, except fish in water that is entirely within the bounds of their property.

1 - 20 of 637 Posts