Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d love to tell you face to face how much I (my whole family actually) love your FREE jerky recipe. But I can’t, so this little post will have to do. This is two whole back straps done as jerky and it is the hit of deer season. Thank you sir! Everyone needs to make some jerky with John’s recipe and tell him thanks.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Hell yeah it's gonna be good. Be hard to screw up some back strap as jerky. Mmmmmm... Making me hungry. That's prime jerky right there.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hell yeah it's gonna be good. Be hard to screw up some back strap as jerky. Mmmmmm... Making me hungry. That's prime jerky right there.
It is kind of sad watching some choice back straps be reduced to small strips of jerky. But once you have some there’s no better way. I end up putting mine on the nesco dehydrator for 6-7 hrs depending on how thick I cut.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
54,080 Posts
You know where to find it my brother.
Here ya go, pay attention to the items I made red, they are if you like a stronger taste:

You'll need about 1 bottle of Allegro Mesquite[or hickory ] marinade[for each 2(half full) to 3 >>1 gallon freezer bags of meat, one small bottle of liquid smoke, a full cup of brown sugar[ball the size of a baseball], 1/2 cup of water[rinse marinade and smoke bottles with] mix well over low heat adding b.sugar while stirring....then add 1.5 cup of soy sauce and a tablespoon of garlic powder. After all ingredients have come together, you can pour in enough to do each one gallon bag of meat: mixture will do three[2 is better] bags. The bags of meat when lying flat on the counter should be about 2" thick after adding the liquid. Let the bags languish for about 3 or 4 days in the fridge, turning and manipulating them daily[to assure all surfaces are coated]. Use only the best freezer bags that zip-lock, and keep them in a meat or bread pan to prevent any leakage. When you load the dehydrator, the meat should have absorbed all, or most of the juice in the bag!. Spray your racks lightly with Pam cooking oil, and lay the jerky out directly onto the racks, Add coarse black pepper to the top side only. If you don't like the pepper, it rubs off easily later[in my exp. kids love it]! Leave a tiny airspace cracks between each portion. You know jerky is ready as soon as you can see light glowing through the meat. Dark opaque meat is not dried yet. ~john stiles P/S That'll be $1.00 for everyone that uses my recipe!

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
I’d love to tell you face to face how much I (my whole family actually) love your FREE jerky recipe. But I can’t, so this little post will have to do. This is two whole back straps done as jerky and it is the hit of deer season. Thank you sir! Everyone needs to make some jerky with John’s recipe and tell him thanks. View attachment 288048
View attachment 288049
yep but the first picture of the thick cut jerky----How do I eat it with out any teeth? I love jerky But I don't have any teeth so It needs to be thin or you must supply a hatchet so I chop it up. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yep but the first picture of the thick cut jerky----How do I eat it with out any teeth? I love jerky But I don't have any teeth so It needs to be thin or you must supply a hatchet so I chop it up. Thank you.
Man I’m sorry. Jerky is no friend to those who are teeth challenged. I even have some fillings it messes with.

·
54,080 Posts
Man I’m sorry. Jerky is no friend to those who are teeth challenged. I even have some fillings it messes with.
Some people dont realize that you never bite jerky, you tear it like paper, wad it up in your mouth like tobacco, waller it around savoring the flavoring and before you know it, its ready to lightly chew then swallow! Any other way is not only not cool, but could loosen fillings...besides, you could actually be rehydrating a whole ham in one sitting!

·
54,080 Posts
Teat it along the grain and rehydrate it in your mouth...it wont take long to get back soft again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts