Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try it? Besides Long beard XR, it's the best patterning load I've ever shot. I was having trouble finding something that patterned well out of my Franchi 20. Tried the Triple Beard and it was quite impressive. Shot well enough that I'd be confident with it to 40 yards.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Killed one at 46 steps lasy yr with the mag blend .. Havent got to try the triple beards yet on a turkey but not looking good unless i catch a couple day cough to miss work r wait till the 2nd weekend b4 i can go try kill ol tom

·
Registered
31,146 Posts
Anybody try it? Besides Long beard XR, it's the best patterning load I've ever shot. I was having trouble finding something that patterned well out of my Franchi 20. Tried the Triple Beard and it was quite impressive. Shot well enough that I'd be confident with it to 40 yards.
Did you try the Heavyweight 7's out of it? Curious to know what the differences were if you did.

·
Banned
20,810 Posts
Did you try the Heavyweight 7's out of it? Curious to know what the differences were if you did.
I've patterned my 20 gauge using a flush extra full .580, Hevi-shot .573 , Primos tight wad .570 shooting Winchester double xx #5, triple beards, federal flight control lead #5 and federal heavyweight #7....

The flush EF and heavyweight #7 will throw just as good of a pattern at 40 yds as any 12 gauge I've ever seen.... :up:

·
Registered
31,146 Posts
I've patterned my 20 gauge using a flush extra full .580, Hevi-shot .573 , Primos tight wad .570 shooting Winchester double xx #5, triple beards, federal flight control lead #5 and federal heavyweight #7....

The flush EF and heavyweight #7 will throw just as good of a pattern at 40 yds as any 12 gauge I've ever seen.... :up:
That's what will be in mine coming out of a Rob Roberts tube hopefully Saturday morning. Can't remember what restriction it is but it throws a good one. Hate to put down my 12 gauge with Nitro's because they're insane, but that 20 is sho nuff nicer to tote through the woods.

·
Premium Member
17,831 Posts
That's what will be in mine coming out of a Rob Roberts tube hopefully Saturday morning. Can't remember what restriction it is but it throws a good one. Hate to put down my 12 gauge with Nitro's because they're insane, but that 20 is sho nuff nicer to tote through the woods.
Old school Nitros? I've got 4 left in a box somewhere. Those things were the bomb back in the day. Mag Blends were cheaper and talked me out of the Nitros.

·
Banned
20,810 Posts
Oh.... I'm not sure I'll tote the 20 to the woods at all this year....

I love that roar when the 10 gauge goes off.... :up:

·
Registered
31,146 Posts
Old school Nitros? I've got 4 left in a box somewhere. Those things were the bomb back in the day. Mag Blends were cheaper and talked me out of the Nitros.
Yup. I've got 5 or 6 left I think. That being said though I've patterned the heavyweights in my 12 gauge and they do really well, too. Sounds like I need to give the mag blends a chance and see what they're all about. I'm set on shells for this season though.

·
Premium Member
17,831 Posts
Yup. I've got 5 or 6 left I think. That being said though I've patterned the heavyweights in my 12 gauge and they do really well, too. Sounds like I need to give the mag blends a chance and see what they're all about. I'm set on shells for this season though.
I shoot them through a Indian Creek from the 870 and I've been more than pleased. I don't really want to tell the story, but I watched a bird die at 71 yds (range finder, after the fact) with them. Let's say the yardage was grossly miscalculated by the shooter.

To me that says much more about the density and long range power of them than it does the pattern density.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.