Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Member<br>2009 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<b
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a little study and was wondering if I could get some help?

The problem of non-gobbling Toms over most of the state over the last couple of years is well known. My question or questions, In areas with little or no gobbling, what was the Hen numbers in those areas? How many Hen sightings were noticed pre-season, during the season and at the end? Was groups(two or more) of Hens still being seen up into the nesting period?(late in the season) Also, Did you encounter silent, Henned-up Toms, late in the season, up in the middle or late morning?

Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I'd say the hen numbers were about normal in my part of the woods. Didn't call in any non-gobbling turkeys except jakes. Saw/heard a lot more turkeys before season than any other time, which is normal.

· Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
Called in two hens that had beards[maybe the same one], saw less than usual before the season, saw one gobbler far off that wouldn't come closer than about 100yds, and shat at another one, but had a dud round........this was a pitiful year for me, but I've seen two different hens with poults, but not in my spot.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
On my lease we had two birds that gobbled, one died the first afternoon. So the rest of the season was spent after one bird that all of the members that turkey hunt were after. I called in hens every day I hunted, usualy calling them away form the one gobbling tom. Now I know that there were and are still more toms than we heard but hunting shut mouth toms is not as much fun as hunting one that will gobble. I have seen 11 hens that had no poults in the last two weekends. Granted some may have been the same ones, I know that three of them were because I saw them in the same spot and one has about nine inches of beard. So I only counted them once.

I may have contributed to the poor gobbling on my lease because the previouse season I called 5 gobbler to the gun that died. Old-Hillbilly saw the pics on another site. Two for my wife, one for my boss and two for me.

Folks just to let you know Old-Hillbilly has more knowledge about turkeys, turkey hunting and turkey hunting history than any other hunter that I know.

Chris, AKA Boomer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.