Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to take the sights off my bow so that I can move my whole bracket. I just have one problem. I can't get the last bolt out that holds the bracket to the riser. I have twisted one allen wrench and bent another. I don't remember putting any loc-tite on the treads or anything. I am scared to put to much pressure on it because I don't want to break the head off the bolt. After all, I am going hunting this weekend but I would like to have my bracket moved before then. Any advise?

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
I am trying to take the sights off my bow so that I can move my whole bracket. I just have one problem. I can't get the last bolt out that holds the bracket to the riser. I have twisted one allen wrench and bent another. I don't remember putting any loc-tite on the treads or anything. I am scared to put to much pressure on it because I don't want to break the head off the bolt. After all, I am going hunting this weekend but I would like to have my bracket moved before then. Any advise?
Peck on it with a small hammer while trying to turn it,Jarring it loose.Or penetrating oil,Or both.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Also remember you have two different metals and tapping on the screw is fine but also be sure to watch your riser because you are taking a chance of knocking them out. Watch some penetrating oils because there is a chemical in some the will react with the alluminium. making matters worse.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Some allen head screws are actually metric, which means that you can find allen wrenches that are American thread but even though they seem to fit....are too loose. This could result in the "round-out" you described. You might take it to the bowshop, or even a machine shop. I wouldn't recommend heating, or pecking, these will only wind up damaging your finish. Do you have a pictire? If the allen head is above plane, you might get a small pair of vise grips on the head, and remember: righty tighty/lefty loosey left being counter clockwise!:wink:

·
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I half way tried the tapping thing last night but it is kind of hard to hold the bow, turn an allen wrench, and tap the allen wrench all at the same time. :confused: If I just had one more arm.

Maybe if I just heat it up in front of a fire place, not letting it get to close to the heat. After all, I did put those sights on last August.

Are the threads in the riser an insert or do they actually thread the riser itself. I just don't want to break it loose if it is an insert. Maybe I will just take it to the archery shop this afternoon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Super Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner
1,827 Posts
I had the same problem with my iron mace on the mod screws.They got rusted in.I used some freeze stuff from autozone and gun oil.Spray alittle on the bolt and then put oil on it and let it set for a hour.Next try to tighten it just a little to break the rust bond then loosen it.worked for me

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,119 Posts
well, you could just get ya a saw and cut that part of the riser out.......:smack: wait, that wouldn't do ya any good. yeah, i'd go with the machine shop advice. good luck though.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Are the threads in the riser an insert or do they actually thread the riser itself. I just don't want to break it loose if it is an insert.
The threads are for the sight mount are usually tapped into the riser.

You might try taking a screwdriver and a hammer and lightly tapping on the bracket from the side to break it loose (the force going into the side of the screw). If you try cutting oil be real careful because it's liable to mess up the finish.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Kevo, this is what I would do if I were you. I wouldn't change a thing now with just a week left. Wait till after the season is done and we'll get together and figure something out. :thumb:

·
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kevo, this is what I would do if I were you. I wouldn't change a thing now with just a week left. Wait till after the season is done and we'll get together and figure something out. :thumb:
I took it to 12 Ring Friday after work and they twisted another allen wrench on it and it still never broke loose. So, I might have to take you up on that.

I sure could have used those GG this weekend though. I shot a longbeard at 15 yards Saturday afternoon. I thought I smoked him but aparently I don't know where to shoot a turkey cause even the film looks like I hit where I was aiming.

·
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope....And there weren't many places that he could go before he had to fly a creek. And we found two sets of really fresh tracks (there was another longbeard with him) on the creek bank right in line with the direction that he went, headed across the creek. It is a slim chance that those were really his tracks considering that was 200 yards from were I shot him but we sure didn't see any other sign of him. You talk about from going from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. I just knew I sent that bird straight to his death bed.

I will try to put the video on youtube or something this week and see what ya'll think I did wrong as far a shot placement.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Nope....And there weren't many places that he could go before he had to fly a creek. And we found two sets of really fresh tracks (there was another longbeard with him) on the creek bank right in line with the direction that he went, headed across the creek. It is a slim chance that those were really his tracks considering that was 200 yards from were I shot him but we sure didn't see any other sign of him. You talk about from going from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. I just knew I sent that bird straight to his death bed.

I will try to put the video on youtube or something this week and see what ya'll think I did wrong as far a shot placement.
Wounded turkeys will hide in water, and under cut banks. That turk didn't go far if he wad'n flying!:wink: I'd go back and check around....you may find a mess of feathers...maybe the beard, feet:confused:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Shoot at their neck, I've never had to track one I've hit. Now with that said I've missed as many as I've hit as well. :biggrin:

·
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It all happened so fast I did have any time to think about it. I guess I have shot too many 3Ds. Heck, I even shot the smaller of the two longbeards.

I forgot to mention, with the exception of no gobbling, it was just like spring turkey hunting. We made a couple yelps and it wasn't 2 min. and I looked up and these two bird were at 100 yards and headed straight for us, on a trot. We hadn't even got the camera out yet 'cause we just got in the blind. By the time I got the camera out and everything situated they were at 20 yards and closing. The first one walked through the creek crossing and I yelped a couple times to stop him and let one fly. He did the whole jump up in the air and do a 360 thing and almost fell on his back. Then he troted off about 30 yards and then last time I saw him he was walking like he wasn't even hurt. My arrow had blood on it but not very much. I didn't even turn my white feathers red. :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
i had the same problem with my bow at the beginning of the season and i got a dremel tool and cut a slot in it so i could get a flat head screwdriver in it that worked for me and about the turkey good luck and hope u find it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts