Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has happened here? I ejected the round from the chamber of my carry gun and it looked like this? Would you shoot the others from this box?
Also how long is to long to have the same round in the chamber on your everyday carry?

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Is it a reload or a factory load?

I carry the same ammo in my mags forever unless something gives me reason to believe there may be a problem. I occasionally rotate the top round down to the bottom of the stack. Never had one fail to fire yet when I do test a few of them.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Looking at the round there must not be much of a crimp. If it were my own reload I'd use a inertia hammer to move the bullet forward enough to allow a reseat and then crimp with either a roll or taper crimp. If it is a factory round I'd contact the company. If it is a reload from a friend I'd show and talk to them about it. If it is a reload from somebody else I'd really think hard about shooting one because that may not be the only problem. I would not fire it prairie dogged like that.

·
Premium Member
16,799 Posts
FWIW- I’d pass on those rounds and re-up some new ones.

Reactions: JB Weld

·
Premium Member
16,799 Posts
Looking at the round there must not be much of a crimp. If it were my own reload I'd use a inertia hammer to move the bullet forward enough to allow a reseat and then crimp with either a roll or taper crimp. If it is a factory round I'd contact the company. If it is a reload from a friend I'd show and talk to them about it. If it is a reload from somebody else I'd really think hard about shooting one because that may not be the only problem. I would not fire it prairie dogged like that.
That was my initial response, where is the crimping??

Reactions: M1Tommy

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are Hornady factory rounds. I wouldn’t think the round has been rechambered more than maybe a few times if that. Only time it would have been is if I put some cheaper rounds in to shoot and then fill the mag back up with these more expensive ones.

Also have contacted the company and going to send them the lot number when I get home to the box.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Rechambering a round multiple times can cause the bullet to seat back in the case, regardless of who manufacturers it.
This can raise the pressure on the load. Some calibers the pressure will go higher than others. I see higher resultant pressures in testing when this occurs with 9mm followed by 40s.

I have seen this quite a bit with LE duty rounds where officers will chamber and rechamber the top round without ever shooting it.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update Hornady sent me a postage label and will ship me out replacements once they inspect the rounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts