Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why am I not finding many squirrels? When I've been going out I will see maybe 1 or 2. This morning I went out and thought it was going to be really good. I saw 5 on the road to the woods. I saw 2 playing together at the edge of the road so I parked there and went in. I walked around for a couple of hours and didn't see anything. There where chewed acorns and hickory nuts all over the place. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to give it a few weeks for the leaves to come off? There were crows everywhere. I counted over 30 and there were more than that.They made a terrible racket. Could they have been keeping the squirrels from moving around? Chiggers and ticks were bad to. My dog and I got covered in them.

·
Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner
770 Posts
So far we haven't been seeing hardly any squirrels at Ravenden. There are plenty of hickory nuts and the feeders have had corn in them for over a month now.

We've been seeing more deer at our feeders than squirrels, which is usually not the norm.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm with ya on the no squirrel thing. Usually there are more squirrels than one can shoot in a month on my property with two extremely large black walnut trees and two medium sized hickorys plus the corn feeder for the deer there is never a shortage on squirrels. but i have yet to see even one on my porperty this year. I have been chalking it up to the recent storms that have come through the area. but the nesting makes sense.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am hoping it will pick up when the leaves are off. I've never hunted this early before. Usually I start hunting in November. I geuss I will just have to wait and see what happens. The few sqirrels I have seen, have been the young ones.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I got 5 fox squirrels this morning. 3 were males & 2 were females. Neither of the females looked like they were nursing any little ones. If I were you I'd leave the dog at home next time & just hunt nice & slow. It's still pretty warm & the squirrels don't seem to be moving a lot.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Squirrels were thick this weekend for me. I got my limit before 8am Saturday and was back at home by 8:30. Had 2 fall in the water and sink and 1 got stuck in some vines, and I was being picky and only shooting young ones. Seen probably 25 or 30.

I took my 11 year old son to the same place Sunday and I got my 8th @ 8:15 and my boy ended up getting 4 with 5 shots and we left around 9am. Seen close to 30 again.

Squirrel and gravy with rice & biskets were delicious for Sunday dinner!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
reflex,

Way too snakey and mosquitoey and peopley for me there. I went there opening morning and got there about an hour before daylight and was the 6th truck. I parked and in the next 15 minutes 4 more trucks pulled up. I stuck it in reverse and went back home.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been out twice, last Tuesday and Friday. Tuesday I took my oldest son with me and we saw 5-6 squirrels real close to my house. They were between my house and my neighbor and were to close to either house to be shooing at. We wen on into the woods and saw a few more be by that time our yard dog had caught up with us and we never got a chance at a shot because she scared the squirrels off. Friday I went by myself and killed 6 before 9 am. I could have had a limit if I had stayed a little longer or had gone after every one I saw. I hunted a small draw, mabey five acers, and killed all but one in there. Go out by yourself and hunt slow. I would shoot a squirrel and then just wait after I retrieved it. Usually after about 15-20 minutes another one would move in. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree with leaving the dog at home for now, go to those places you've found cuttings right at dawn and sit still.

Have you tried making cutting noises right there? Just take an old bolt and washer and rub the washer across the threads of the bolt like a squirrel cutting nuts.

If the squirrels are there, and it sounds as though they are, they're killable.

Spot

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
I have been 5 times so far & killed my limit everytime. This AM it took me an hour. I sat in 2 places this morning, killed 6 in one spot out of the same hickory tree they are tearing up and moved about 50 yards where I heard some cutting on another tree & finished up. The limbrats are most likely there if you are seeing sign but are not moving around alot. In my area they are not touching accorns or pecans. They are all in either the Hickory's or the Rock Elms. If you find good sign just find a good spot where you can see most of the tree they are using, sit tight & you will see alot more than walking around this time of the year.

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
I don't know where Centerton is but I think the squirrels migrated south last winter. I live in randolph county and they are few and far between this year. I hunted a couple of hours the other morning and only saw 5. I did see a couple of good bucks and 18 deer total. I found a fresh rub too but no scrapes yet.
I also have a couple of bird feeders in my yard that until 6 months ago always had a squirrel on them. I only see a couple a day on them now which means there aren't many squirrels around.

·
Member<br>2008 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
165 Posts
Just where do you live

I think they all moved to my house up here in Jonesboro. I can look out the window at any one time and count 6 or 7 between my house and the neighbor's. I need a pellet gun:biggrin:
I will be more than happy to run a kabob through them critters straight from a Mathews and onto the grill

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.