Help with Feist!!!

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by omb99, Dec 13, 2010.

1. omb99

omb99 Member

I have a feist who is really gamey and does a good job finding and treeing squirrels. However every time we come to an armadillo hole he becomes obsessed and tries to dig for half an hour. Anyway to break him of this?? Was ready to sell him saturday before he treed three more squirrels.

2. ralin

ralin Well-Known Member

Dang,once they start with that they are ruined!!!!SORRY! Better let me come take him off your hands!:whistle:

3. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

If it was me I would take a switch to his nose you will be suprised how well you can get there attention by get them across the nose and tell them no. If you have tried to break him with force you might try a shocking collar. Both are excellent methods for breaking off of dillars.

4. cbradley

cbradley Well-Known Member

Lots of praise when he trees a squirrel, and a shock when he messes with armadillos. My curr began chasing dillos when I would road-hunt him at night for coons.... When he would bay them in a hole, I would shock him and tell him NO (also shocked him once while in the middle of a chase and yelled NO). After a few episodes of being shocked with no reward or praise, he decided that dillos werent very fun to chase. Just be sure that he is after trash before you shock him

5. Easy to break

LET HIM DIG DEEP ENOUGH SO YOU CAN HOLD HIM IN HOLE.GET YOU A GREEN SWITCH 3/8 DIAMETER,WEAR HIS TAIL END OUT UNTIL U THINK YOUR TIRED AND HE CANT SIT DOWN,REPEAT, DONT LET DOG KNOW YOU ARE DOING IT IF POSSIBLE,MITE MAKE HIM HARD TO CATCH,LET YOUR BUDDY DO IT IF YOU CAN, NO RESULTS CATCH HIM IN ARMADILLO HOLE.GET HOUSEHOLD AMMONIA PUT ON COTTON BALLS IN A ZIPLOCK BAG PUT THE BALLS IN THE HOLE,DOGS HEAD IN HOLE HOLD HIM IN THERE TIL HE THINKS HES GOING TO PASS OUT,WILL NOT HURT HIM OR DILLER BUT WILL MAKE HIM THINK HES GETTING SMOTHERED BY WHAT HES DOING.BE SURE AND RETRIEVE COTTON BALLS DONT WANT OL DILLER TO LOOSE HIS BREATH TOO.NO INJURY TO GAME OR DOG.WE USED TO USE HI LIFE BUT THATS A LITTLE ROUGH ON THE ENVIRONMENT.THIS WILL WORK ITS THE OLD WAY BEFORE SHOCK COLLARS.ITS A LITTLE MORE HANDS ON BUT WHEN THEIR BROKE THEIR BROKE. NOTE TO PUBLIC VIEWING IN PAST BREAKING METHODS BY BLUE DOG NO HUMANS OR ANIMALS WERE HARMED DURING BREAKING TECHNIQUES,JUST GET PISSED ON A LITTLE:biggrin::fit: BLUE DOG

6. Ok im long winded

Just trying too help.shocking collars are one of the best,humane techniques used right!!! Not always the best,they are the easy way.if you use a shock collar dont let the dog relate the shocking to you,feist,curs are smart.when breaking with a collar you can sure make things worse on handling and catching your broke dog.differrent strokes for differrent folks.the manual breaking i stated can do the same damage but thats a good reason to let your buddy do it or start with the ammonia cottonballs if you would rather not use the first method,when your dog thinks that hole is going to smother him hes done.dont matter what crawls in a hole,yes he will relate it to the diller too not you is the key.if all that dont work dillers are easy picking and tasty.good luck with your dog blue dog. Yes ive been that hungry!!

7. I bought the sportdog 3200 shock sytem and bought 4 collars to go with it 2 years ago. I used it about 3 months. I haven't picked it up since. I can call my dogs and they will run to me. They don't even think about anything but a coon or squirrel now. It worked great on breaking the neighbors dog from chasing cars as well. That old man said he hasn't had a dog ever live that long on his place. They always end up chasing cars and dead in the road. A few taps with a shock collar after your dog is deep in that hole after the armadillo and he leave them alone.

8. Big E

Big E Well-Known Member

i dont know much about squirrel hunting with dogs and im not trying to offend ANYBODY but i was told that a mt. feist is a very different breed and you didnt want to hit or shock them. the man that told me this said it would ruin a feist. i dont know so im just throwing this out there. i have a mt. feist and am trying to train him to hunt so im new at it. i know my dog is very sensitive. i would contact a breeder and ask him.