Help pls bought my wife a 8week toy yorkie and it wont eat

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by tjgivens85, Dec 2, 2012.

1. tjgivens85

tjgivens85 Well-Known Member

2. ar_lawngod

ar_lawngod Well-Known Member

NW AR
    What are you trying to feed it? If you are trying dry food, soak it in milk or water to soften it up. I think it is better to use goat milk, but cow milk will work. You just may have some digestion issues. We would do that then take them to the bowl and rub a little on the end of their nose. That would normally get them going.

Hope this is some help

3. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

Their blood sugar gets low. Rub some kayro syrup on its gums or go by the sugar stuff made for them. They can get very sick very quickly. They will eat once their blood sugar gets up. I learned this the hard way. Even syrup will work, just rub it on their gums. I would see a vet when possible but they can die overnight if sugars get low. Finicky little suckers.

Good luck

4. CBD

CBD Well-Known Member

One thing I've tried with hound pups when they're real little is milk gravy. They seem to eat this when they wouldn't nothing else. Good luck!

5. tjgivens85

6. luckless

luckless Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner

We bought our daughter a Bichon from a lady down around Hot Springs a few years back. She was only 6 or 7 weeks old when we got her. Never could get her to eat. She ended up dying a week later. Vet never could figure out what was wrong with her.

7. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

It's the sugar. My Maltese got sick. When they don't eat their sugar gets low FAST. As long as you keep sugar in them they will eventually eat. They make some sugary paste in a tube for them

8. gunslinger66

gunslinger66 Account Suspended

Get some "dyne" most feed stores have it or you can order it online from Revival animal health, it is a high calorie appetite aid. They love the taste of it and it helps them get an appetite and gives them nutrients til they do. Everybody that has dogs needs some of this stuff it really helps out in emergencys and I give it to my dogs at a field trial for a boost later in the day kinda like an energy bar.

9. BowHunter21

BowHunter21 Select Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Sheridan
    run down to an insurance agency and take out a policy real quick!! them dogs are expensive!

10. Bulls On Parade

Bulls On Parade Active Member

NWA
    I'd get the dog to a vet. A puppy of a breed that young and small ain't gonna do well very long without food, and as others have said with a dropping blood sugar levels. Good luck.

11. tjgivens85

Dog is a hundred percent now guys. Thanks guys and thanks Hunters animal hospital in white hall

Attached Files:

12. CBD

CBD Well-Known Member

Glad that everything turned out well for you!