Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to bait a bear this fall and, as I understand it, a key ingredient is used cooking oil. The problem is that I don't have any. Every restaurant I've tried so far has someone already picking it up - for bio fuel I guess. Some are even paying for it. Does anyone know where I can get some used cooking oil in the Russellville area?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I hope to bait a bear this fall and, as I understand it, a key ingredient is used cooking oil. The problem is that I don't have any. Every restaurant I've tried so far has someone already picking it up - for bio fuel I guess. Some are even paying for it. Does anyone know where I can get some used cooking oil in the Russellville area?
Deep-fry a few turkeys and you'll be set.:up:

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Catch some fish, clean them and package the leftovers. Do this until you have several pounds of leftovers (20 or so) at your next fish fry after you finish cooking the good stuff and then cook up the leftovers and let it cook until it is closer to 'way to done'. When you take this out to bait the nearly burnt fish will provide more scent than just the grease alone. Pour the grease over it and aorund it for about 3'. This gives a perimeter the bear will step in and then upon walking away the bear will lay down a scent trail for other bear to find and follow. Once the first one has hit it you can even dump corn out and pour a little grease on it. If they have to work for it they will stay longer at the bait site allowing for best shot selection. Once they are hitting it put it in a barrel with a hole in it for them to reach into. I have heard fresh killed beaver is also a good bait but have not tried it.

·
Banned
20,810 Posts
GOOD LUCK.....finding used cookin' oil...now days most everybody is selling it to people so they can make bio-crap.....you can't find anywhere up here to get it....Their are some kids in the warehouse behind us makin' a killin' sellin' home bio-diesel makers...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have never used cooking oil, I get old bread throw it a barrell and pour molassas over it, last year I had 8 bears coming to my site that I know of. If you like try getting some sardines or tuna fish cans, poke holes in them and nail them to a tree 6 or 7 feet off the ground, bears can smell this for miles. The advantage of using the greas is it lays down a trail that bears can follow in. We have lots of bears in the area I hunt and they find the site without any problems. Once you get some bears coming in the site will stink so bad, you can't stand to sit there, you'll see what I mean. Good Luck

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
I asked the band booster pres not to throw it out when they were cleaning, so you should be ok. If you're interested I'll see if we can keep all of our used oil for you. Probably go through a couple gallons per game.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Born2 & JohnF, get with me on the logisitics if you aren't planning a trip to Perryville. I live there and commute to Russellville every day, so hauling a little oil wouldn't be a problem if you need. Send me a PM if you want.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all of you guys that have been so much help so far. Thanks to johnf, I was able to put my bait out yesterday. I think I've got it in a good area. I found LOTS of bear sign (poop) in the area and I actually am pretty sure I actually saw a bear running away from me up the side of a clear cut in the area as I was scouting for a bait site. I also found one bear track, but it looked pretty old. The scat was very, very fresh. So, if the rain doesn't wash everything away I expect to have a bear hitting the site soon. OK, now how does one stay in control of his nerves with a bear 15 yards away?

·
Banned
518 Posts
Thanks to all of you guys that have been so much help so far. Thanks to johnf, I was able to put my bait out yesterday. I think I've got it in a good area. I found LOTS of bear sign (poop) in the area and I actually am pretty sure I actually saw a bear running away from me up the side of a clear cut in the area as I was scouting for a bait site. I also found one bear track, but it looked pretty old. The scat was very, very fresh. So, if the rain doesn't wash everything away I expect to have a bear hitting the site soon. OK, now how does one stay in control of his nerves with a bear 15 yards away?
I killed my first one last year and I was huffing and puffing in my stand. He came up behind me and got right under my stand. All of a sudden my ladder sticks started moving. -It was either his paws or his jaws. I could have taken a dump where I was sitting and it would have landed right on his head! So, this could happen to you. It is hard not to get jittery.

Keep baiting him, and the last week or so before season bait him earlier in the day so you can get him coming in before daylight. Beat on your rig real loud every time you leave after baiting. Reel him in the last few days with honey, syrup, honeybuns, etc. The day you hunt have someone drive you to your stand, bait, beat on the same ole rig you been driving-they drive off, you get on your stand.
p.s. You might take a dirty shirt from time to time when you're baiting and leave it-Let him get used to your smell, somewhat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.