Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some expert advice or need to get incontact with someone that can help me!! Here is my problem. Of course I posted that we just built a new house and we moved in 2 weeks ago this coming friday. The problem we are having is in our attic! When we get a heavy frost ourside the decking in our attic is freezing!!! Our entire attic is frosted over in the mornings!! We have talked to several differnt people and no one can tell us what is causing this and how to fix it. I need someone to help me or get me someone that can or will to get this problem fixed asap!! Once the temps heat up the frost melts and now is starting to drip in our livingroom. Of couse its dripping all over in the attic but we have only noticed it in out livingroom right now!!

Thank you all so much in advance and I hope someone can help me!!!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,786 Posts
I need some expert advice or need to get incontact with someone that can help me!! Here is my problem. Of course I posted that we just built a new house and we moved in 2 weeks ago this coming friday. The problem we are having is in our attic! When we get a heavy frost ourside the decking in our attic is freezing!!! Our entire attic is frosted over in the mornings!! We have talked to several differnt people and no one can tell us what is causing this and how to fix it. I need someone to help me or get me someone that can or will to get this problem fixed asap!! Once the temps heat up the frost melts and now is starting to drip in our livingroom. Of couse its dripping all over in the attic but we have only noticed it in out livingroom right now!!

Thank you all so much in advance and I hope someone can help me!!!
Generally attic ventilation takes care of this problem. Each gabled end should have a louvered grate near the top....and turbins on the roof to draw the air through the attic space. I'm not a professional, so this is just my opinion!:wink:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our gable ends have grated vents and we have 3 whirly birds (turbins) on the roof. OUr attic is insulated and all our bathroom vents go through the roof nothing is vented into the attic. We are all electric.

·
Moderator/smokepole pimp
11,480 Posts
How fast did that house go up? Was the framing ever really wet, as in rained on, and did everything have a chance to dry before you got it enclosed?

We built our house in the dead of winter (thanks, mr. banker man for holding me up all fall...:mad: ). I litterally had to squeegee the ice and snow off the structure so the framers could work! After we got it enclosed, I took my sweet time with the plumbing, wiring, ect. to allow everything to dry out best we could. We ran propane heaters to speed up the dry-out and we didn't insulate untill everything was more or less dry.

Could residual moisture in the structure be the trouble? If so, that will go away, but augmenting the ventilation in the meantime could help. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
of course our house got rained on what house doesnt?? Our roof was installed the second week in November the sheet rock was hung the week after that. We did not move in until Jan 11, 2008. I would think that would have been plenty of time for things to have dried out!! Our insulation was blown in the attic and everything on the 9th of Decemeber. I am puzzled by this. I am not wanting to have a mold problem or anything of that sort. And with the water dripping into the livingroom that is starting to cause a problem.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Attic

Sounds like excess moisture in the materials. Call the best heat and air man you can find asap before that moisture dripping back causes you some major problems. In the meantime get some fans and set them up blowing out of the attic at each gable. Do you have soffit vents? Is insulation installed all the way to the top of the soffit? The soffit vents have to be breathing and usually there is a foam vent on the roof sheathing from the soffit. I recognise your concern as that is very disconcerting.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
It's because you didn't put underlayment under your metal roof. It is recommeded that you do not install it directly on the studs or even in contact with plywood because the backside of the metal will sweat.

You need to put in some attic fans on each end of your gable to fix this problem and keep good airflow in your attic. I know a guy that did this and they couldn't figure out what was going on. When he told me i asked him if he had a metal roof...sure enough he did and he didn't put underlayment under it. You will really have a problem this summer if you don't get it fixed.

That metal will sweat all summer when the attic heat hits it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We do have underlayment on top of the decking seperating the metal roof. We have decking then roofing tar paper then the metal roof. Which is what most houses have. So that cant be the problem!!

·
Moderator/smokepole pimp
11,480 Posts
Man, that would have me upset, too. Octoberbuck's got some good ideas about ventilation. If I knew any professionals, I'd be calling them now.

They all get rained on, but not all of 'em get to dried out before they're sealed up. There was about 4 months time in between our 2-story house getting roofed and sided and sheetrock installation. It really did take most of that time for the structure to dry out, honest.

The good news is that mold needs fairly warm temps (about 75-80F) and high humidity to grow. If you can get it dried up before spring, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its crazy cause on the mornings it doesnt frost outside there is no frost in the attic. We may end up putting some fans up in the attic to help out some but its still got us puzzled and several other people we have talked to.

·
Moderator/smokepole pimp
11,480 Posts
That's a head-scratcher for sure. Good luck, and let us know what it was and what the fix was. I hope this doesn't kill all the fun of having a new house!!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,786 Posts
I have known of houses that were bigger enough that whirlybird ventilators wasn't sufficient...in those cases, power ventilators was used. It will have to do with how many square foot area your attic has. Do you live close to a lake?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No we dont live close to a lake we live out in the country. As far as square footage of our house. The heated and cooled Sq Ft is roughly 2691 and the total with our porches and garage is roughly 4330. I really dont think ventalation is the problem. I sure wish there was someone that could help me!!

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Call Doug Rye.........the guy that does all the radio commercials about Energy savings for houses and stuff....I don't have his number, but contact the Local electrical cooperative...they might have a contact number, as he works with the co-ops.............if he can't help ya, I'll bet he can point you to someone who can!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have called him this morning and he is out of town till the 30th!!!! I left a message with him and I hope he calls me back!! I dont know what to do now!

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I have called him this morning and he is out of town till the 30th!!!! I left a message with him and I hope he calls me back!! I dont know what to do now!
good luck! I got a call into a heating and air guy that I know well...as soon as he calls me back I'll let ya know if he says anything other than the ventilation.....I feel that might do it..but my buddy is more than likely at Oaklawn watching his horse run:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have spoken with my heat and air guy and he is puzzled too. He is calling a builder he knows to see what it could be. He says we have plenty of ventalation and shouldnt need anymore.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I work for an Architectural firm and after talking to a couple architects this was their response. The first thing they picked up on is you may have hung your rock too early so you may have moisture still in the wood. The attic ventilation seems to be where the problem is. This time of year wood is going to dry slower than it would in the summer so it could be excess moisture trying to get out. You can get a moisture meter and check the framing to see how much moisture is in the wood. Some questions you may want to look at is:

1. You may have plenty of ventilation but are your attic vents placed at the high point of the roof? If not they may not be working properly.

2. Do you have a ridge vent? Ridge vents are the best thing to use to pull out the moisture from the attic - especially on metal roofs.

3. Putting in power vents can move a lot of air and get it out of the attic so this may be an option.

4. Sounds like you may need to get some heat in the attic to help dry it out.

All this being said the best thing i could recommend is to talk to a mechanical engineer. I am sure he will charge you but right now it will be a lot cheaper than what may be to come. Mechanical Engineers should have all the moisture calculations and can probably diagnose your problem quickly. He can definitely make some recommendations on how to fix the problem. Also i am not sure if you built this yourself but if you used a contractor to build it, i would go through him with the problem and let him absorb the cost. I can't say how much an engineer would charge you but i wouldn't think it would be ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts