Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mainly fish electric only lakes, my wife and I usually fish out of kayaks but I have the urge to set up a nice wide aluminum boat specifically for fly fishing for bass and panfish.
I have a 1542 and to me it just isnt stable enough, when sitting in a pedestal seat the boat feels like it wants to flip.
I was looking at an 1860 or similar thinking the size would make standing on the front deck and casting easier, safer.
I guess I’m almost envisioning a flats style boat where someone in the back could pole the boat and also have a trolling motor up front.
I not interested in goi g fast, skiing or anything like that. I want a super stable platform to fish from. I know that big of a boat wouldn’t be worth a hoot in the trees.
Has anybody done or seen anything similar? I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I would think the 1542 would be a dream of stability compared to the kayak ? I think anything wide with good deep sides and a casting deck will make you feel safer and more comfortable , a 17-18 should be plenty large enough.

·
Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07
7,499 Posts
I have 16/48 alumacraft with a deck on the front and its fine except for needing to be a little longer, (towards rear of boat). Plenty stable and I'm pushing 3 bills.

only pic I could find quickly....

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
I bought a 1960 alweld last year. I weigh 300 and don, notice it moving much when I walk in it. 80 pound thrust troll motor will pull it upstream in most rivers.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
you have to think about where you like to fish at. For instance, I use mine for similar type fishing but on GF sometimes, then other times the White river, then sometimes the Little Red, sometimes lake conway and other times Arkansas river or beaverfork. Pretty wide range of different areas. There are times that I wish my boat was smaller to get in the trees at Lake Conway. There are times I wish it were bigger/more stable at GF and certainly on the Arkansas River when there's traffic. Then if I'm at the Little Red, I wish it were a jet outboard on a Supreme hull. On the White, same deal, but when I decide to run up the creek a 20' long boat ain't gonna work.

Point is, there is no "one size fits all" in boating. You're likely to find similar situations at some point.

With that, I suggest thinking about where you normally go or plan to go.

For a while I had a 16' (little bitty thing) glass hull "bass boat", 115hp. Worked great on GF and the river but couldn't use it on the Little Red or the White unless the water was really high, and at that point it's really a waste to go fishing. At the same time I had a Grumman 1542 with a 25 yamaha. It did fine on the white & little red as long it was more than a foot deep. Plenty small enough to get in the trees. But a little on the scary side if the wind came up much more than 10 mph on GFL and even occasionally on the White. The hull was just too light. At this point in time (currently) I no longer own those two boats, rather picked up a 548 war eagle--and it does all of them decently, none of them perfectly. It goes where I need it to but sometimes I do have to be careful if it's skinny. Stability? It's as stable as the bass boat was. The hull itself weighs 350lb and it's also a modified vee, where I think the deadrise is 6 degrees if I remember right. The shallow vee makes a big difference over a totally flat bottom, the hull's weight certainly helps as well. Pretty impressed with it as a good all-around hull for what I do. Small enough to be maneuverable in the trees yet big enough (barely) to be comfortable on the bigger waters (GFL, Ar river), and a shallow enough draft to be able to get mostly where I need to be on the two trout rivers. There are times it drafts too deep. There are times it gets a little nervous in higher winds (25+ mph running across the lake). But all around? It's fine-for what I need it for.

The bad--if you buy something that you aren't sure about, you're gonna be stuck with it for a while unless you got it cheap enough not to take a big loss on it. Keep that in mind. I knew what I wanted when I got mine, well for the most part. It basically landed in my lap but I was "leaning" that way to begin with. Do lots of research and this site is a great place to start.

Just sharing my experience, for what it's worth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts