Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been turkey hunting for about three years now. I know how to use a slate and box call. I'm still working on the mouth call. So my problem is that when I would go I went with my grandpa and he would call for me. Well since a recent divorce i probably will not get to go turkey hunting with him. So in going to try to kill my first by my self. What I need help on is how should I start calling? And what does each call say to a turkey. Like what does a yelp mean and a cluck. Thanks for the help guys.

· Registered
6,611 Posts
Best advice I can give you is learn a fly-down cackle and a good yep first if your a early morning hunter. More beginners over call than not. My old father-in-law was a old turkey hunter and taught me everything I know about turkey hunting, he died about 7 years ago at 89. He always said you needed to work on being patient more than being a good caller and after you made the first call and got an answer, he knew exactly what tree you were under. :wink: Over calling is normally the worst thing you can do, epically to a old gobbler and about the time you think you need to move, set still for another 30 min. :up: Good Luck.

· Registered
2,034 Posts
just call it will come natural to you but never ever ever ever say put put put that means danger get the heck outa here. Also when you start working him just call soft about every 15 minutes and when hes so close you can hear foooooogggggle when he gobbles quit callin and you will kill him

· Banned
20,812 Posts
Learn the land that your gonna be hunting....not just generally but learn every hollow, bump, roll, ridge, finger, blown down tree and puddle.....

Watch, listen and pay attention....you never know if what you see or hear today, you could use tomorrow to kill him....

Don't be too aggresive about movin' on a turkey unless you know where he is and where he maybe goin'.....you'll spook them 9 times out of 10 if you don't......

AND pattern your gun....not just one shot at 20 and 40 but a couple of times from 5 yds to 40 yds.....know what your gun will do....

And as far as callin' with a mouth call is concerned.....I say shock (but you can use any word that has two syllables)....you need a high note and a low note....
Like sheee...ock....just speed it up for a yelp....
And a cluck....I pucker my lips and pop a little air over the reeds....

· Member<br>Forum Sponsor
362 Posts
I let the bird dictate what HE wants to hear. i.e., if I yelp and he immediately gobbles I cutt. If he instantly gobbles I do an aggressive cutt. This scenario continues until he doesn't gobble instantly. Then I shut up! Another scenario- if he's slow to gobble back at me, I tend to slow my calling down and tone it down AND be patient!
So, if he's aggressive I'll be aggressive (up to a point). If he's timid, I'll be timid!
AND BE EVEN MORE PATIENT!!!

· Registered
14,602 Posts
The bond between two good hunting buddies runs deeper than a petty divorce! One of my first turkey hunting buddies was my ex-girlfriend's dad. Call your grandpa, and if you cant go hunting, ask him for some calling advice.

It's hard to explain, but the only advice I can give you is to get a bunch of calls and practice. Listen to real turkeys (you can buy CDs). Go forth and hunt. Generally, it's safer to call less than more, but calling more is a helluva lot of fun when the situation is right and the gobbler is hot! You'll figure it out in good time. Everyone does it a little different.

· Registered
9,322 Posts
Like Double M said, every situation is different and you have to learn to "take the birds temperature" and call to the situation. My default mode is aggressive unless the bird dictates otherwise. Woodsmanship and knowing the property you are hunting and how it lays and how to utilize it to your benefit are as important as calling. I personally almost always cut the distance as much as I can to the point that I'm flirting with danger if possible. Whether a bird is on the roost or on the ground, I want to be in their hip pocket if possible. This works best when you have a really good idea where a bird is or he is gobbling on his own, I always try to close the distance BEFORE I call to a bird. Unless he's answers a loud aggressive cut that I've only done once and hasn't had the opportunity to pinpoint my location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.