Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm new to deer hunting and I'm hoping this will be my first year to get to go. I want to start with a muzzle loader. I'm leaning toward a CVA Buckhorn or a Traditions from Wal Mart. Unless I can find one used. Honestly, I really don't want to spend more than 125 since I'm not sure I'll stick with it. And I don't know anyone who will loan me theirs. Any other ideas besides those two brands? Know anyone who's got a used one for sale for 100 bucks or so? Also, are there any DVD's that show how to load and clean a muzzleloader?
Jared

·
Super Member<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner
991 Posts
I know guys who own both of those guns and they seem to shoot just fine. Another one to look into is the CVA Wolf, My father has one and it shoots just as good as my Thompson Center Omega. It is around your price range I think. Most muzzleloaders come with a video or a book on how to clean and manage your gun.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have the CVA Optima, break breech ML. It is Camo / nickel and it's a .45 cal.

I love this gun. I have owned a Knight, and this gun runs circles around the knight. I paid 180.00 for it new. I would recommend this or the CVA Wolf. I have heard quite a few good things about the Wolf. Most everyone who has one really likes theirs. I know the wolf costs a bit less than the Optima...

And it really isn't hard to learn about ML guns. I may even have a video laying around here that I would let you have, if you wanted it. It wasn't anything special, but it did give some basics. Just let me know , and I'll try to find it.

Oh and I love the .45 cal. ML. I shoot Powerbelt bullets and use about 93 gr. of loose 777 powder, and Remington Kleenbore 209 Primers. It is a great combination for me. The Powerbelt bullets load easier than Sabot bullets, the 777 Powder burns cleaner , and builds more pressure, than most other ML powders. And the KleenBore primers have a great spark, but their composition aids in lessening a crusty ring that forms in the barrel when the powder burns where the powder charge meets the bullet base.

And as far as cleaning goes, I bought a .45 cal. Rifle length bore snake for mine. Remove the breech plug, spray just a little foaming bore cleaner in it brom the breech end, and run the bore snake through it 2X and lube the breech plug and screw it back in. Takes only a few minutes, start to finish.

This setup took 2 - 8 pt. bucks last year. One at about 70 yards, and the other at about 110 yards. Neither buck went more than about 20 yards.

And I have a Nikon 4.5 - 14 X 40 silver Buckmasters scope on top. It is hard to believe that I got a ML this good for about 180.00. I may buy another one soon, just to put in the gun case, just in case they decide to stop making it. I like it that much.

MET

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I know a guy with a Traditions camo/blued for sale. Brand new (dunno if he has the box or not), and he's asking $175. If you happen to be in the Conway area anytime soon, gimme a shout - I have a CVA muzzleloading video you're more than welcome to.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Used ML's can often be found in pawn shops and gun shops for a very reasonable price. I'd visit a few places to see what they have. You never know when you might stumble up on a deal.
I'd like to get a CVA Optima Elite but that's probably not in the cards for this year.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I've had 4 CVA's, all have performed real well. Always wanted to get a Knight or a Thompson, interesting some of you guys don't think they are any better, I may have to stick with a CVA. My current model works well enough that I use it during modern gun sometimes, I just love fooling with a muzzleloader, even like cleaning one. Not near as big a chore as some make it out to be.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
I've got several T/C's that I built from kits, years ago that still shoot well...I also have a short carbine style that I use in the brush if I am stalking, and a couple of Traditions Inline's ...all 50's.............and like DaDuke, sure would like a Pro-Hunter:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
My first muzzler was a CVA "Kintuck-ee long rifle" kit with the two peice stock. It's ugly, cheap, and not very historically accurate, but the dang thing shoots extremely well for the money spent.

A T/C pro hunter would be a lot better, though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.