Help Buying A New Gun!!

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by ForgotmyTP, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Im pretty set on the caliber of the gun 30-06, but I'm not sure which gun I want to purchase...I'm on the fence between a Remington 700 sps and a TC Venture. Comments on either or both guns PLEASE!

2. loki

loki Well-Known Member

Hard to beat the remington. Come to think of it it's hard to beat the 06. Put a leopold scope on that thing and you'll do just fine.

3. WackinNstackin

WackinNstackin Well-Known Member

Remington 700. I'm not a 30-06 fan, but to each his own. I'd strap a Leupold on it and be set for years of service.

4. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

there is no way i'd take a venture over a 700. imo the venture looks cheap. i know looks doesnt kill deer.... but like many have said on here the 700 is the ruger 10/22 of bolt actions.

now if you said the rem 700 and the TC Icon that would be a diff story...maybe?

5. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Couldn't give the nod to either. Rem 700's aren't bad if you do a little work on them. If I bought a Remington 700 it would be a 700CDL or 700LSS.

Or....get yourself a Winchester Model 70 and have something worth keeping for the rest or your life.

6. neahunter12

neahunter12 Well-Known Member

Either gun will work fine. The question is which rifle works better for you? Look at them both and decide which one has the features you like better. Both guns are tough, accurate and hard to go wrong with, it pretty much just comes down to personal preference. :twocents:

7. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    I'd take the 700, but in 308. Short action is nice and tons of ammo around. Mil surplus and tons of reload data. I got a Remington 700 SPS AAC on backorder should be in a few weeks or so.

8. neahunter12

Good advice on the 308 its the ammo price is the same as the 30-06, it shoots the same bullet as the 06, shoots :censored: near the same speed and shoots more accurate and the short action makes the barrel stick out less making the whole gun shorter and makes the gun lighter. But what does the 06 have on the 308? Well correct me if I am, wrong which i probably am because I dont know a lot about reloading, but the 06 is supposed to be better when you load them really hot because it has more room for powder. And the 06 has a really cool sounding name :up:

9. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

People say that the 308 is more accurate. Just another myth. People say that the 308 will shoot a 150gr. bullet faster than a 30'06. That too is just another myth. What the 308 will do is push a .308 bullet just as fast without all the fuss and punishment at the stock's end.

When you move to heavier bullets the 308 tends to lose it's luster. It will not shoot 165's or 180's at 30'06 speeds and just forget about 200 or 220gr. bullets. By the time they're seated they take up so much powder area in the case it's not really an option.

The 308 will shoot 150 and 165gr. bullets as well as anything without pounding a shooter into submission. Makes it seem like a super accurate shooter to some because it's right at the acceptable recoil threshold for most shooters. The better you handle recoil, the better you'll shoot.

I burned a few pounds of powder over the past few weeks. Most of it was done shooting 250gr. bullets through a .338 Win Mag at ranges out to 300 yards. I recorded one three shot group of .874 at 300 yards with the .338 but I wouldn't suggest it over a 30'06 or a 308 for hunting Arkansas Whitetail.

10. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

I hope you are referring to a pre '64 Winchester , otherwise I would have to disagree.:biggrin:

11. lonwen99

lonwen99 Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

Take the Rem. 700 you wont regret it .:thumb::flag:

12. neahunter12

Ummmmm no its actually true. Dont get me wrong its nowhere near of enough difference to be a deal breaker on a hunting rifle but it is slightly more accurate. Here is why, The 308 is shorter which means the powder burns more uniformly every time giving you more consistent speeds meaning the bullets hit closer together. Another thing is the 308 has a shorter neck which means less interference from the case on the bullet. When the 308 came out it quickly replaced the 30-06 in shooting competitions BECAUSE IT IS MORE ACCURATE. Im not saying it makes a difference in a hunting rifle but the difference is undeniable.

"30-06 speeds" are 100 fps faster with 180 grains which means half an inch gain at 300 yards. And the 308 shoots 180 grains fine trust me I have shot groups with 180 grains just as good as 150s. And forget about 200+ grain bullets? I never thought about them to begin with in the first place in Arkansas.