Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a permit for opening weekend,I have not been to this area,but always wanted to,any info on where to hunt and camp,hows the terrain,anything! It would be appreciated.

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
ralin, You can camp there behind the managers house just drive on by and there is a pretty good size camp ground. I have never permit hunt it, so I don't know the size crowd to expect. There is several foodplot areas within the woods, I would surely try to pre-scout it a few days before if possible. Its really a good turkey area. Always hard to get that permit, so congratulations. I hunt just across the river from it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ralin, You can camp there behind the managers house just drive on by and there is a pretty good size camp ground. I have never permit hunt it, so I don't know the size crowd to expect. There is several foodplot areas within the woods, I would surely try to pre-scout it a few days before if possible. Its really a good turkey area. Always hard to get that permit, so congratulations. I hunt just across the river from it.
Thanks for the info,there are 30 permits for the opening weekend,should'nt be hard to get away from others on 14000 acres.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I deer hunted there this fall on a modern gun hunt and there is plenty of turkeys all over the area. Check with R. L. Pogue when you check in and he can help you get off in the right direction. :thumb:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've hunted it a couple of times. The G+F website has a pretty good map of the area. I've hunted the southern end. I went during the youth hunt with my daughter and we had one coming and got cut off. Then we bumped another one trying to get that extra few steps. I should have killed one last year on the extreme south east corner. I got with in range but just couldn't get a clear shot. I also got on a bird in one the food plots not to far from the southern entrance. Getting on a bird first thing in the morning shouldn't be a problem

Get out for a scouting trip before the hunt. If it's a clear morning you can birds from a long way and mark them on your map for future reference. As a note there are several old fences and fire lanes that will hang birds up if your not careful.

·
Registered
10,474 Posts
I used to be a club that joined it and it is full of turkeys. Take some good tick and chigger spray. It has more seed ticks and chiggers than any where I have ever been.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts