Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone of more vast knowledge please try to explain to this old senile fool how is it 3 weeks ago a fellow could hear 6 to 10 birds sounding off bought any morning, hear them during the day, get camera photo's of them, and now, nothing. Not even a sign a Tom is here. Not a single gobble to be heard in the exact same area now! Not a single camera photo of a Tom. Still getting hen photos out the wazoo. Yesterday and this AM have seen 20 plus hens without not even a hake around. I'm just totally at a lose. In my 60 years of chasing these thunder chickens have I ever saw this take place. Kinda like everyone has just vanished from the face of the earth.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Let's see if I can put it in terms you may understand. Let's say you had been going to the bingo parlor for the past few weeks and you were able to share your blotter with as many golden girls as you liked. Then all of sudden you come in and this time they all have their own blotter given to them by Frank. Now that they have their own blotters it's time to head to the Country Kitchen for the 3:30 buffet and settle in. Nobody is gonna tear them away from jello bar now. You'll have to go try the bingo parlor in the county over. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's see if I can put it in terms you may understand. .
That some high tech stuff there for sure! Going to have to put my Jefro Bodine smarts to use to sifore out all that blotter goings on. Still don't understand though, if Old Frank has such a mighty blotter to satisfy all the golden girls one would think at least one others around with lesser blotters would sound off once in a while just hoping to take one of Frank's discards?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The man lost me with the bingo reference, but I'm seeing the same thing and also hearing several people talking about seeing big groups of gobblers together. I'm wondering if even with the earlier season most of the breeding activity hasn't already taken place?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Glad this post was started. I was consistently hearing 2 and as many as 7 in one spot heard the 2 every morning last week but Friday couldn't go roosted every night in the same place only 4 days since March 13 have I not heard a bird on that hillside. I haven't enters the area until yesterday so much scratching that almost nothing but rocks left and I too have heard not one turkey sound at all!!!!! Oh ya I own this place it's totally private to all activity this time of year.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The man lost me with the bingo reference, but I'm seeing the same thing and also hearing several people talking about seeing big groups of gobblers together. I'm wondering if even with the earlier season most of the breeding activity hasn't already taken place?
I had been seeing one gobbler in a field April 2 he had 13 hens the 7th he had 8 on the 10th he had 4 and the 13th only 1.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Yah I think its about over. Have hunted late season before which is where we are now with the early spring i believe. It can still be done but it aint easy and you will have a lot of unresponsive and silent gobblers imo. Not time to give up but be prepared for frustrating times in the turkey woods.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've played the silent game a few times myself. What gets me is these birds seem to have completely abandoned the area all together and gobblers and hens have been homesteading here for months. Idk it's turkey hunting not killing as they say. Not the first time I've been frustrated and no doubt won't be the last.

·
Registered
735 Posts
With the early spring, it seems about like starting to hunt May 1. Instead of mid April.
"BINGO"!!! :biggrin:

Cue the hardcore killers who say it aint over and they will kill one on May 1st , strutting at 10 steps, at the most pressured public spot in the state..... cause it ain't over till they say its over! :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.