Height of Feeder is important?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by donswheel, Jan 5, 2011.

1. donswheel

donswheel Active Member

I haven't got a lot of experience with automatic feeders because I have been hunting in management areas but I hear that feeder height off the ground is important. If so, why?

2. gotyacovered

gotyacovered Well-Known Member

better broadcast, fewer animals to mess with it???

fwiw.... i dont have a lot of experience with them

3. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

It keeps the coons from getting to the spinner. You can also grease the legs and it helps keep them off.

4. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

Ours are suspended between two trees by a chain. You broadcast further with better height. You also need to get it high enough that the deer don't rare up and butt it with their head.

5. donswheel

donswheel Active Member

All good points. So the store bought ones on three legs really needs to be tied down??

6. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

bears hogs and cattle will knock them over and rough them up to get to the corn.

7. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

Also Koons !! :smack:

8. rackrocker

rackrocker Active Member

Here is what I do with my feeders so animals dont knock them over.

Supplies needed:
    - 3, 3 foot pieces of rebar
    - 3, 4 foot pieces of rebar
    - Three 5 gallon bucket tops
    - 3 whose clamps.

Drill one hole in the top of each bucket top. Lay the bucket tops on the ground and hammer your 3 foot rebar in the ground at an angle so your feeder legs can slide over the rebar. Then take your 4 foot rebar and hammer it straight into the ground right next to your feeder legs. Wrap those whose clamps around the 4 foot rebar and the feeder legs then tighten them as much as possible. That will give you a solid feeder and you wont have to worry about walking up on a tipped barrel. I started doing this because hogs were begining to knock over our feeders. Height of a feeder has never been an issue with me. I have a 3 foot tri-pod feeder that works fine. Deer dont bother is. Sorry for the long reply.

9. I have never had one knocked over even by hogs.
    I build my own and weld the legs to the barrel and put enough spread in them that they are pretty solid.
    I usually keep them low enough to be able to back up with a four wheeler and fill them.
    I have watched deer hit their heads on the motors before and had hair on them.....it's kind of funny.......
    You would get a better broadcast with a taller feeder but you may have to take a ladder to fill them.
    I want to build some that hang high on a pole and use a boat winch to raise them.
    I think those would be great on broadcasting the feed.
    Now I think if your intentions are to hunt over it broadcast is important to keep them there longer.....if you want to feed them then I don't know if as important to broadcast over an area. I think for feeding purposes a trough works better but it's more expensive.

10. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

Ours are about 6 ft. high and we use a boat winch to raise and lower.

11. due to my lack of thinking a few years ago, i bought my first feeder and put it up. went back a week or two later and it was scattered, broken, covered in mud and smelled like a boar hog. built a gravity feeder thinking that only deer could reach the plate, well hogs can jump and bump, but so far they have not knocked it over

12. born2hunt

born2hunt Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is that if the feeder is too short, deer can and will lick corn right off the spinner. This habit makes them much more likely to come around only at night and causes you to go through a lot more corn.