Arkansas Hunting banner

Heavy duty filet knife?

3K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Have gun will travel 
#1 ·
I’ve got a Rapala Ion lithium / rechargeable filet knife I leave in the boat. It does ok on bass, but today I tried it on some redfish (22-33 inches) and it sucked. It just did not have the power needed for reds. Is the Bubba lithium knife any better, or do you pretty much have to get a plug in model?
Any recommendations on a heavy duty knife that can handle tough fish?

#29 ·
I bought a cheap black and Decker about a month ago. Sometimes it works. Sometimes its a democrat. So I bought another one.

Grandson come in right at dark with 10 bass. I grabbed the new knife straight from the box and stuck it to the first fish. It lit me up! Couldn't let go of the trigger. Normally I use a 100ft extension cord but tonight I plugged into a little 6ft cord.

#30 ·
My wife got zapped once while helping fillet some fish about 20 years ago but I've never been zapped. In the old days I made sure my knife hand stayed dry and still do today but I also wear some disposable gloves from Harbor Freight. Started using them in the winter months so my hands would stay dry and warmer and decided what the heck. They keep the knife hand dry plus keeps the other hand slime free and makes clean up so much easier I wear them all year when I'm filleting now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.