Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What heart work prevention med. do y'all give your dogs and what's your source? If you don't, tell me that too.

We've used "Heartguard +", bought from a local vet. It's expensive, and I'm pretty sure it'd be cheaper elsewhere.

I asked a few folk at work, and was surprised that most didn't even give their dogs anything for heart-worms.

how think y'all?

advice/opinions are appreciated. I'm out of Heartguard, and need to get some, or something in a week or so.
Tommy

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
I had a black lab die years ago from heartworms. I was young and dumb and didn't know any better until it was way too late.

We currently have 2 house dogs, and I give one Heartguard, and the other has a new liquid type of product that is externally applied between the shoulders. This dog belongs to my daughter, so I haven't even seen exactly what it amounts to yet.

The pills I give my dog were $28 for 6 pills the last time I got them. Sure seemed high, I am going to do some online checking and see if I can't find them cheaper.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Mine both get Interceptor. Not cheap and actually not 100% effective as we found out last year with our lab, but Novartis did step up and give us a years worth and paid $300 of the treatment. Used to use sentinel when we lived in Louisiana, but our vet here does not seem to care for it as much, it is really just interceptor with some flea and tick guard built in.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I used to use Heartgard until I found out the ingredients.... For the last 17 years I have been using Ivomec liquid I inject it into a piece of Bread once a mouth and done........:biggrin:.....cost .45 a month per dog. I live in swamp-east Mo. where every mosquito has the larvae and never lost a dog yet. Before I lost a bunch when I was young and dumb........:smack:

.1 cc per 10 pounds or 1cc per 100 pound or 1 ml per 100 pound

This is what is in Heartgard tablet. This is also what is used to cure a dog with Heart worms......:cool:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That Interceptor sounds good but I've already enough "Advantage" for the year.

That, "Ivomec " sounds interesting, and a LOT better than the $50 for 6 months of Heartguard from the local place!

Thanks for all the replies.
Tommy

·
Registered
984 Posts
MY SON HAD A BLACK LAB YEARS AGO THAT HE WAS CRAZY ABOUT. HE TOOK HIM TO GET HIM VACCINATED AND THE VET TOLD HIM HE HAD HEART WORMS. HE WAS DEVASTATED BECAUSE AT THE TIME HE COULDNT AFFORD THE TREATMENT. A FRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT THE IVOMEC AND SAID IF THE DOG ALREADY HAD HEART WORMS THAT A SHOT WOULD EITHER KILL HIM OR CURE HIM. WE GAVE HIM A SHOT AND THE DOG WAS PRETTY SICK FOR TWO OR THREE DAYS BUT RECOVERED COMPLETELY AND LIVED FOR MANY YEARS. AFTER THE FIRST INJECTION WE GAVE IT TO HIM ORALLY EVERY MONTH OR SO FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE. THIS STUFF WORKS AND AT THE TIME WAS A LOT LESS EXPENSIVE.:up:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
MY SON HAD A BLACK LAB YEARS AGO THAT HE WAS CRAZY ABOUT. HE TOOK HIM TO GET HIM VACCINATED AND THE VET TOLD HIM HE HAD HEART WORMS. HE WAS DEVASTATED BECAUSE AT THE TIME HE COULDNT AFFORD THE TREATMENT. A FRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT THE IVOMEC AND SAID IF THE DOG ALREADY HAD HEART WORMS THAT A SHOT WOULD EITHER KILL HIM OR CURE HIM. WE GAVE HIM A SHOT AND THE DOG WAS PRETTY SICK FOR TWO OR THREE DAYS BUT RECOVERED COMPLETELY AND LIVED FOR MANY YEARS. AFTER THE FIRST INJECTION WE GAVE IT TO HIM ORALLY EVERY MONTH OR SO FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE. THIS STUFF WORKS AND AT THE TIME WAS A LOT LESS EXPENSIVE.:up:
The key to curing a dog with heart worms is give just a little every week if you give a full dose all at ONCE it kills all the worms and larvae and can block the blood flow to the heart and lungs.....:verymad:

It costs very little to treat. I used to have 13 labs and all never had heart worms and it cost me $30.00 a year then for all of them.........:clap:

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
Ive got 8 beagles so it would be way too expensive to give them all Heartguard or something similar.

I use Ivomec. For a beagle I give 2cc's per month year round. I paid around $35 for the last bottle I bought and Ive been using it over a year and still have several months supply of it left.

I put the correct amount in a syringe then put it in some orange or apple juice to help with the taste. Open their mouth and squirt it in toward the back then hold their head up till they swallow.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ive got 8 beagles so it would be way too expensive to give them all Heartguard or something similar.

I use Ivomec. For a beagle I give 2cc's per month year round. I paid around $35 for the last bottle I bought and Ive been using it over a year and still have several months supply of it left.

I put the correct amount in a syringe then put it in some orange or apple juice to help with the taste. Open their mouth and squirt it in toward the back then hold their head up till they swallow.
I just put mine in a piece of bread and throw it in the air they catch swallow all done for the month...........:fit:

·
Registered
345 Posts
We currently use heartguard plus. With all the new outbreaks in pups going around with all the preventatives using ivomec as the active ingrediant we are looking at the new treatments of advantage multi or proheart 6. The new strains of heartworms going around in the mississippi flyway are resistant to ivomec and have been found in 2 of 3 pups a friend of mine has. He also gave it religously at the first of every month.

Now the advantage multi is suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread for heartworms. Its active ingrediant is moxidectin and holds a blood level for a longer period of time deworming them daily. It also controls fleas, hookworms, roundworms and whipworms.

Proheart 6 is a six month shot that controls basically the same as advantage multi. Its active ingrediant is moxidectin. Its given every six months, my vet highly recommended it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
im doing the revolution too.its high dolla! its topical! i hope it works
been several on heartguard get heart worms. on some of the other dog forums been alot of it.. really suprised me. then i get a call from my buddy this a.m. and he tells me he had to take his to the vet yesterday and you guessed it heart worms! been on heartguard from the get go dogs 2 years old.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I had my lab on interceptor for years never missed a pill with the reciepts to prove it. He got heart worms anyway. My vet said the company would pay for the bill for treatment but he was 10 years old then. This may sound cruel but the life expectacy of a lab is 10-13 years anyway. Since the treatment isn't 100% foolproof and can supposedly kill a dog, we (I) decided to let him live it out without having to confine him to a dogbox except to use the bathroom for the specified time period. I had him checked recently and he still has barely a trace of worms. We did switch him to heartguards after the first diagnosis.

He is like the energizer bunny. He'll be eleven this year and hasn't slowed down a bit.

2dogs

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I use Revolution. It is made by Pfizer and a I used to use Filaribits Plus but Pfizer dropped that product. According to my vet Filaribits was the best heart worm and other parasite preventative on the market but the draw back was your dog had to free of heart worms before you used this product or it would kill the dog and you had to use it daily.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also use ivomec. 1/10th cc for every 10lbs of body weight. It has worked well for my 8 dogs. If you do buy the ivomec, make sure it is the ivomec injection for cattle and swine 1% sterile solution. Do not buy the ivomec plus. Do not inject this in your dog, give it to them orally.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I also use ivomec. 1/10th cc for every 10lbs of body weight. It has worked well for my 8 dogs. If you do buy the ivomec, make sure it is the ivomec injection for cattle and swine 1% sterile solution. Do not buy the ivomec plus. Do not inject this in your dog, give it to them orally.
ditto + 1 had dog checked today and none as I suspected.........:biggrin:

·
Registered
21,162 Posts

Where can I get this... My lab as heartworms and this sounds like it might work if they already got worms. Had him on heartguard and it didn't work

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.