Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my dog checked out this evening and found out he has heart worms. Vet said there is a problem in the delta right now with heartguard not working. Plus evidently his weight was off for the pill he takes. I contended he put some weight on over the winter but he weighed in at 115. So my dosage I guess was off. And they want cover the treatment.

Does anyone know of treating these heartworms without the $600 dollar price tag at the vet? With what the vet said about heartworms in the delta being a problem and the medication for prevention not being real reliable. I just am up in the air on what to do. Anyone got any ideas? Any medicine I can give him to treat him myself?

·
Registered
745 Posts
My b.i.l. had a lab come down with heartworms a couple of months ago. He was using heartguard prevention also. The vet told him heartguard is gonna cover the treatment. I will have to ask him about it next time I have the misfortune of talking to him.

·
Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>
467 Posts
Its not just heart guard it is all of them. Ivermectin is not doing the job that it used to in prevention of heartworms. Soon the prevention companies will not be able to guarantee their product because they have more going out in paying vet bills than they do coming in. This is a huge problem that is not going to get better until they find another wonder drug. Sorry about your dog FireHog! There is not much you can do except get your dog treated.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Its not just heart guard it is all of them. Ivermectin is not doing the job that it used to in prevention of heartworms. Soon the prevention companies will not be able to guarantee their product because they have more going out in paying vet bills than they do coming in. This is a huge problem that is not going to get better until they find another wonder drug. Sorry about your dog FireHog! There is not much you can do except get your dog treated.
And to make matters worse, I heard on the news today that this year the mosquito's will be worse than ever due to the floods and all of the water. :smack:

Sorry about your dog Lee, you know what your options are. :frown:

.270Win

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
I know of a way, but nowdays, ya can't do it, cause ya can't get ARSENIC:eek:

Dad did this for years, until the public was restricted to not get the arsenic.........here's the formula.....

Takes 60 days......
1 lb of ground beef a day
1st month, day 1..1 drop arsenic
day 2...2 drops
day 3...3 drops etc
add a drop each day up to 30 days
day 31...29 drops
day 32..28 drops etc
subtracting a drop down to day 60...which would be 1 drop on day 60

Never lost a bird dog or rabbit dog, and never had one with heart worms!!!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
They came out with a new topical that the vet said was "supposedly" the best prevention on the market at the moment. In the morning i'll find out what it is. As much as my labs in the water we chose to go with heartgard plus, not really trusting the topical due to alot of extreme conditions.

Lost Creek is dead on too, its all of them. Ivermectin is the active ingredient in all of them and its not doing its job. Have you guys noticed the price increase in the pills over the last three years? Three years ago i was paying 33 dollars for six months, now its 54 dollars...... I think all the added cost is being added back on.... :skeptical:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well....let me throw my 2 cents worth in.......

My dad and I have raised dogs for about 13 years now and we have NEVER (knock on wood) had a dog test positive for heartworms, and we're talking quite a few dogs over this span. We started out using heartguard and then switched over to ivomec until we heard all the issues people were having with this and then switched over to heartguard plus and have been giving that for several years now. We take all our dogs and have them tested once a year just to be sure and have yet to return a positive test.

Now on the other hand we have been interested in buying a few squirrel dogs and the sale would be contingent upon a negative heartworm test and they came back positive. The few times this happened all those people were using ivomec.

I sure hope we dont start having the problems all you are having it sure can affect a dog once they get them. We have been around dogs once they were treated and they are just not the same after that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
We had one go through it last year, he was on interceptor and had been for the previous 7 years of his life every month. Novartis covered $300 of the bill, but it was a pain. i would do it again for him, but on some of the treatments, they can't regulate their body temperature well, so of course it was a couple months of highs in the 30s and lows in the teens, so he got to sleep inside a lot in his kennel which he now thinks is how he is supposed to live. They also can not cool themselves and should not run and play becuase it can throw a clot. I know some of the precautions are overrated, but the more I read about it, it was not just our vet being overly cautious.

And he never showed any signs other than the positive test at the vet.....

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,647 Posts
Sounds to me like teh producers of Heartguard and Interceptor need to come clean and let folks know that their expensive preventative isn't so effective any more. Of course, that would be a major financial impact - but this is exactly the type of problem that results in class-action lawsuits. And we all know how those work out. Lawyers get the lion's share of the settlement, while the consumer/pet owner get a coupon for a free 6 month supply of the product in question...:smack:

Seriously - those of you who have dogs who get heartworms while correctly administering Heartguard or Interceptor to them need to act soon and forcefully if it is important to you. Otherwise you will be relegated to nothing or a class-action which won't do anything for you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The lawsuit part I think is a no win situation. Vets may tell you it is good, but even according to the companies, they are are only about 85% effective. There would be some lawyer that would take it but they did step up and gave us a free year worth....

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the vet prescribed the wrong weight/dosage, I'd think he'd be more liable than Heartgard.:censored:
The last time I got his dosage, he was at the weight for that dosage. 6 months later over the winter, he gained alot. So I take him in, he test positive and then he says he wasn't at the right weight since he gained 15 lbs. :smack:

·
Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>
467 Posts
Normally the doses cover a farly large weight range. I guess the most common for labs is 51-100 lbs. So I guess technically 15 lbs should not make a difference. Bottom line if you can prove that you were consistently giving heartworm meds by your purchase records with the vet, that company should pay for the treatment because they are selling a guaranteed product.

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to have a meeting with my vet about that later this week. I will see what he says. The front desk lady tried to sell me more pills, saying that it would help my dog and delay the worms somewhat from getting worse. :smack:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am going to have a meeting with my vet about that later this week. I will see what he says. The front desk lady tried to sell me more pills, saying that it would help my dog and delay the worms somewhat from getting worse. :smack:
I was told by several vets to NEVER give a dog with a positive test one of the pills. Not real sure why, but my best friend's brother and my college room mate are both vets that i trust and that is what they both say too.... For what it is worth, although i have never asked what it would do

·
Registered
924 Posts
I was told by several vets to NEVER give a dog with a positive test one of the pills. Not real sure why, but my best friend's brother and my college room mate are both vets that i trust and that is what they both say too.... For what it is worth, although i have never asked what it would do
I've always heard the same as well.....my understanding was that it could very well kill the dog!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.