Heart worms in strays

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by WillyB71, Sep 9, 2020.

1. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

I have adopted 3 starving strays. These dogs are mutts except one is full pit.

I keep them fed & tick, worm, & flea free.

It’s very likely all 3 have heart worms.

Not going to spend a ton of $$$ on eradicating heart worms.

Can a vet give me pills to keep them from getting worse?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    jackie53 likes this.

2. bowhunter23

bowhunter23 Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>

Bauxite
    Go to the Co-op and get a small bottle of Ivomec, a drop on a chunk of hot dog and they'll be good to go. That bottle will last longer than the dogs will.

Revnate likes this.
  3. Revnate

Revnate Well-Known Member

Fordyce
    A lot of people use ivermectin. Someone a lot more qualified than I could probably spell out all the pros and cons. But it's what i use... ivermectin and goat wormer.

mhankins, bowhunter23 and Remington like this.
  4. WillyB71

Nah.... If I were gonna shoot ‘em it would have been a lot of dog food ago.

5. WillyB71

I have a bottle.

once a month? Once a week?

I also heard if you just started dosing them the worms would die & somehow kill the dog.

If I can just give them a drop on a weenie chunk on a schedule that would be easy enough.

Remington likes this.
  6. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So there is a slow kill method that involves the monthly administration of ivermectin at the proper dose, and a course of doxycycline. The doxy prevents the adult worms in the heart from reproducing, while the ivermectin kills any circulating microfilaria (baby heart worms)...and prevents them going forward.
    There are some dogs that cannot tolerate ivermectin, typically collie breeds....and dosage is important.

7. bowhunter23

bowhunter23 Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>

Bauxite
    Definitely listen to Arkgirl, she's a lot smarter and a heck of a lot more qualified than I am to give specific instructions. All I know is that it works and I've given it to all my dogs for 20 years or so and never had one die of anything but old age. I usually give them a dose every month and a half.

8. Revnate

Revnate Well-Known Member

Fordyce
    Yes. Listen to Arkgirl. That’s true on the herding breeds. No ivermectin for them.
    Somewhere sometime I found the schedule for administering it as treatment vs. prevention. I’ll see if I can find it again.

WillyB71 likes this.
  9. CoyoteControlInc

CoyoteControlInc Well-Known Member

I treated a dog that my vet said was as bad as he’s seen for heart worms when I was in college. I couldn’t afford the treatment and he couldn’t guarantee the dog wouldn’t die. So I followed some old timers suggestions. Sheep wormer pills (tramisol). They were about .05/piece. I shaved off small pieces less than a quarter of a pill and gave it to him everyday for a week. Upped the dose to about a quarter every day then upped to a third then a half then when I got a whole pill down him he was cured. The slower you go to get to the full pill the more likely to survive. Mine was bad sick. The vet didn’t believe he was the same dog the next visit he had. He lasted four or five years after that. No real science to it though they can die easily if you kill off too many words at once. Also on ivermectin I was always told white feet don’t treat. Good luck.

John Stiles likes this.
  10. WillyB71

Killing off too many worms at once & killing the dog was my concern.

Is this the correct type of Ivermectin to use?

077B0B7C-77A5-4500-A9DD-2F3AC41C8928.jpeg

11. WillyB71

Thanks.

12. arkyjim

arkyjim Well-Known Member

WillyB71, Thanks for saving those dogs, You can tell a lot about a person by the way he treats animals. At least I think so.

Punkinseed and ArkGirl like this.