Hearing Protection for Kids

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JGR, Feb 5, 2008.

1. JGR

JGR Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how many of you that hunt with your kids make them wear hearing protection. I have a 10 year old daughter that has killed 3 deer since she started hunting and I always make her wear hearing protection. I bought the kind that amplify sound but then protect your ears when loud noises happen. If you don't make your kids wear hearing protection you ought to. I wish I had worn some when I started hunting because I can't hear very well now because of the damage from muzzle blast. Not trying to preach to anybody, just think it is best for those young ears.

2. I've been working with my granddaughter, teaching her how to shoot. She fires NOTHING without hearing protection. Lord knows, I've lost a LOT of my hearing from high powered rifles & shotguns.

Now I won't fire anything bigger or louder than a .22 short without protection. I can't reverse my damage, but I can prevent anything further. I even wear hearing protection deer & duck hunting.

3. whiteoak

whiteoak Well-Known Member

My son wears earmuffs when shooting and hunting anything other than a BB gun.He has just started trying ear plugs but prefers the muff.I consider this as apart of gun safety training.