Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to be in Greely, CO sometime tomorrow morning to look at some equipment. Wife decided she didn't want me around (my assumption, wouldn't blame her), and suggested I make a turkey trip.

My plan was another marathon run leaving Alma around 2 tomorrow morning, and getting back home around 11-midnight. Instead, I think I might just hunt.

My options then would be New Mexico again, Colorado, or Nebraska. I've gotten real familiar with some public ground in NW Nebraska that I'm thinking would hold birds, but not real sure.

Also have some options I've researched in eastern Colorado, but I've never set foot there.

Either way, I'll try to update. Plan on hunting all day Tuesday, and maybe even tomorrow evening if I found some public close. I'll pack it in at closing time Tuesday, and should be back home by 9am Wednesday.

Likely my last hunt of the year, since I've not heard a gobble in Arkansas since the youth hunt.

Great luck to yall keeping on.

·
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Left early cause I'm impatient. Trying to get up past Salina and onto 70 before I bed down for a couple hours. Just north of Wichita now.

Saddest part of driving through Kansas at night is missing our on a Spangles double cheeseburger. Almost worth the drive just for one.
logo_spangles.png

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Good luck. Thought about heading to Nebraska myself this weekend but only could hunt a couple of days so probably wait until next year maybe

·
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck. Thought about heading to Nebraska myself this weekend but only could hunt a couple of days so probably wait until next year maybe
Do it! Never put off what you could do now. I've not turkey hunted Nebraska, but I've never been disappointed in my combo upland/duck marathon runs up there. Break out Google Earth and make it happen.

·
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got out in a new area yesterday evening. Found awesome sign about 2 miles in. Got setup in creek bottom at 8300'. It was misting snow a bit, but no concern there.

Clouds rolled in about 10 minutes into my sit, and pretty much made it impossible to see. Decided to get out while I had time to find my way, and return in the morning.

Storms back home killed that Idea, so these birds get a reprieve for now. Pretty damned certain I could've got one in range. Did see a pretty gobbler on my way though. Strutting in the middle of the county road. Got a couple pics of him I'll post later.

The pic of the creek here is below a roost tree. Pretty sure you could walk through a chicken house and get less shat on your boots.
20210503_175047.jpg
20210503_183757.jpg
20210503_183353.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts