Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
This will be the 1st yr in close to 20 yrs i won't be there for the opener. Nursing a nasty wound and the day it closes I will be there. Probably Tues or Wed. Pop heard 4 this morning from the front porch and he doesn't hear well. said they were still gobbling strong @ 730. I sure look forward to seeing those rdbuds and dogwoods!!!!!!! And morels!!!!!!! Good luck !

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Spur! Sorry to hear about your medical problem. Hope it heals quickly and you get up to Missouri before Jason and I scare all the birds in the area.

Hope what your dad heard are foretaste of what is to be!

Take care my friend--will be praying for your speedy recovery.

Randy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Spur.

I doubt that dad will get to hunt. He'll probably just go out, sit in his truck, and listen each morning. He'll also drive around looking in all the fields for birds. He just loves to see them! Dad is 84 and getting pretty feeble. He has a difficult time walking on anything but smooth, level ground. We may be able to set up a blind, drive him right to it, and let him hunt like that. Hey, I'd give up killing one for the next ten years if he could get one!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
am in Rolla, MO now, haven't had any luck.....No gobbles yesterday morning, got on a bird gobbling EARLY this morning and it got shot by a local as soon as it's feet hit the ground...was a nice 2 yr old bird, he said it was roosted with 7 hens. Have seen a few gobblers out in the fields strutting with hens.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
We hunted close to Ft. Leonardwood on Mon & Tues. There were 7 of us in camp and we killed 5. 3 jakes and 2 longbeards. We've heard alot of jakes gobbling this year, making us wonder if there is a lack of 2 year old turkeys. We called in a group of 5 jakes, 2 strutting, and what we thought was a longbeard with them. We finally realized that one of the jakes had a monster gobble on him. Another one gobbled good as well.

If anyone was hunting close to us on Tuesday probably had to ride out the thunderstorm / hailstorm that morning. We had a turkey working off the roost, but the sudden storm sent us scrambling for a cedar tree. Too far from the truck, we took shelter and held on to the base of the tree for 30+ minutes. After the storm passed the turkeys started talking again.

I hope it's good weather for the second week. We're planning on hunting Monday & Tuesday again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hunting was difficult for us between Houston and Cabool this week. Very little gobblin'! Don't know exactly what the problem was.

JR1 and I both killed birds on Tuesday morning before the storm struck. Wow! It was a dandy storm like Juice said--thunder, lightening, hail, wind, and rain!

Maybe JR1 can put up a picture or two of the birds we killed.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
I'm not going to make it to Missouri this year. I've spent too much already. Wife would kill me over another $175.
A bunch of you fellers headed to Fort Leonardwood area... Y'all better stay out of Big Louie's. MO tags are expensive enough.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
In the same camp as Juice. Heard very little gobbling in one day scouting & two days hunting. I hunted with my Dad the first day and tried to video. We found very little sign & not much gobbling in an area that is usually full of gobbling turkeys. No scratching whatsoever. We did strike one at 10:30 am on Monday that covered some ground that he killed. I returned the next morning, hiked about a mile from the truck before daylight. Nothing gobbled close and then that storm rolled in. It got dark fast and when the hail started I got under a cedar tree for shelter. I hunted my way out when the hail quit, but probably should have stayed because an hour later the sun was back out. Tried some new areas that I would like to check out some time when the turkeys are gobbling good. I struck out, but plan on returning in a week for another try.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hunting was difficult for us between Houston and Cabool this week. Very little gobblin'! Don't know exactly what the problem was.

JR1 and I both killed birds on Tuesday morning before the storm struck. Wow! It was a dandy storm like Juice said--thunder, lightening, hail, wind, and rain!

Maybe JR1 can put up a picture or two of the birds we killed.
Glad to see ya guys killed one I was able to hunt two days without any luck was on birds both days to many hens:banghead:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess that "misery loves company" because I'm sure glad to hear that the lack of gobbling was widespread and not just in our area.

I just couldn't imagine the birds not gobbling on opening day. It was a beautiful morning, nice temperature, little or no wind, BUT NO GOBBLIN'! Basically the same on Tuesday and on Wednesday. I guess that the birds have to be there, but they sure made themselves scarce and quiet! :head:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Myself and a friend went to our ol faithful spot in missouri on my uncles dairy farm monday and only heard 4 birds. We did kill one (should have gotten 2 but i cannot shoot strait all of a sudden) but we usually hear between 10 and 15 birds opening day, not this year. we go back monday and are hoping some of the older gobblers will sound off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.